Boudin Time!!! Step by step...and pics.- recipe added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You are good to go then.

FWIW, I recently found out that the cooked skin is easier to grind if you put it in the freezer for ~20 minutes. Just spread it out on a cookie sheet. I have not tried it yet, as I have a 3/4 hp. grinder and just ground it hot used the pusher.

Reactions: nanuk
Perfect time of year for stock. Or stew, or chili, or Crawfish, or gumbo, or ...............................................

If the skin has been cured, seasoned, and cooked it will not be the same. Now if you can get a raw picnic shoulder that would be the way to go. In a pinch-though I recommend this as a last resort- yo can use granulated gelatin in packages...BUT it's just not the same as the flavor you get from the skin.

How much of the granulated gelatin would you recommend to substitute in your recipe? Any particular techniques to incorporate it?

How much of the granulated gelatin would you recommend to substitute in your recipe? Any particular techniques to incorporate it?
I suggest using granulated gelatin @ 1/2 strength. Figure out how much liquid you are using in your batch of boudin and go from there.

Example: if the package says add 2 cups of water to one pouch of gelatin, then figure 1 pouch per every 4 cups of liquid in your recipe....

Reactions: brazencajun
Great thread, and it finally has pushed me over the edge with making boudin.

Question, Inda, did you ever perfect a method for smoking? I much prefer the Best Stop style smoked boudin, and would love to duplicate if possible.

I need to make another run at smoked boudin. I did figure out that I need to reduce the liquid by 1/2 and double the pork skin. Also learned that it would be best to warm smoke the boudin rather than cold smoke it. But temp must be kept below about 160* or the casings will bus

BTW, the Best Stop in Scott Louisiana has been sold by the original owner. The quality of the boudin has suffered, though I'm told they are using the same recipe. Last two times I was in there I bought the regular boudin and the onions were in large dice and not cooked all the way through....which I found odd. I thought the first time was a one off and gave it another go but same deal again. I've switched to Billy's when I'm out that way and need some boudin, though it is quite a bit more expensive, the quality is excellent.

Reactions: 73saint
I need to make another run at smoked boudin. I did figure out that I need to reduce the liquid by 1/2 and double the pork skin. Also learned that it would be best to warm smoke the boudin rather than cold smoke it. But temp must be kept below about 160* or the casings will bust.
So I'm guessing the xtra pork skin helps bind more and reduce risk of breakage? That may be over my aptitude since I've yet to even try the recipe as is. I ordered the bag to cook the skins in, and Hong Kong Market in Terrytown has the liver and skin. I'm so glad I found this recipe as I was hesitant to use the Marianski recipe in his sausage making book. I trust you more than him in cajunland!!

This is a family recipe that has been in the family for over 100 years.....It's legit.
The extra skin helps to keep the water in the boudin allowing the casings to dry and form a pellicle to accept the smoke, otherwise the casings will stay wet and soak up creosote leaving the smoked boudin covered in bitter smoke. The high water content of the original recipe will just leak out as the gelatin from the skin melts and the casings never dry.

I need to make another run at smoked boudin. I did figure out that I need to reduce the liquid by 1/2 and double the pork skin. Also learned that it would be best to warm smoke the boudin rather than cold smoke it. But temp must be kept below about 160* or the casings will bus

BTW, the Best Stop in Scott Louisiana has been sold by the original owner. The quality of the boudin has suffered, though I'm told they are using the same recipe. Last two times I was in there I bought the regular boudin and the onions were in large dice and not cooked all the way through....which I found odd. I thought the first time was a one off and gave it another go but same deal again. I've switched to Billy's when I'm out that way and need some boudin, though it is quite a bit more expensive, the quality is excellent.
I tried to order a bunch of Billy's boudin last week, and the shipping was twice the cost of the boudin so I nixed the order. I am friends with "Boudin By Jamison" and I do really like his boudin (it's A+ rated I think), but my g/f finds it too salty plus I just wanna learn to make my own. Ultimate goal for me....so thank you!! Your threads have been terrific to read and so helpful!

This is a family recipe that has been in the family for over 100 years.....It's legit.
The extra skin helps to keep the water in the boudin allowing the casings to dry and form a pellicle to accept the smoke, otherwise the casings will stay wet and soak up creosote leaving the smoked boudin covered in bitter smoke.
so do you add cure #1 to the cooked meat, or just warm smoke w no cure? Sorry for all the ?s...

No problem with the questions....
Yes, add the cure #1 to the cooked meat in the boudin, but be sure the boudin is cooled to room temp. or below before you add the cure #1. Then stuff into casing. Use the final weight of the boudin (rice and all) to figure the amount of cure. I suggest letting the links sit overnight under refrigeration to let the cure equalize through the boudin, then smoke.

First I've heard of "Boudin by Jamison".....
I found the write-up on boudin-link and from the sound of it, I need to stop in and try some next time I'm down that way. What's he charge per pound?

First I've heard of "Boudin by Jamison".....
I found the write-up on boudin-link and from the sound of it, I need to stop in and try some next time I'm down that way. What's he charge per pound?
I'd love to know your opinion. He charges $6/lb for pork, $8/lb for crawfish & you can save a few $ if you buy in 5lb increments. He's on FB so you follow him and either buy at farmers market or meet him at various delivery locations.

$6 for pork boudin is on the high end, but he does not have a store front and is not making his profit on volume. If it is awesome boudin, it sounds to me like a good price for a specialty product for a niche market of buyers that don't make their own boudin, but love eating good boudin.

Well by the sound and looks of your recipe I won't be buying too much boudin...Hopefully this will be the new go-to!

I just hope my 12qt magnalite is big enough for the boston butts, thats the biggest pot I own (I think).

No problem with the questions....
Yes, add the cure #1 to the cooked meat in the boudin, but be sure the boudin is cooled to room temp. or below before you add the cure #1. Then stuff into casing. Use the final weight of the boudin (rice and all) to figure the amount of cure. I suggest letting the links sit overnight under refrigeration to let the cure equalize through the boudin, then smoke.
I weighed 4 lbs. of pork and 1 lb. of chicken liver for boudin, but when I grinded the meat it shrunk to 3 lbs. so I measured the amount of cure 1 for 3 lbs. before adding the rice. Can I still smoke the boudin freeze it or discard it?

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/will-this-work-cure-2-question.273308/page-3#post-1809819

Ok, Myoglobin is responsible for the color of meat. In the raw meat Myoglobin is a very dark red. When first exposed to oxygen it changes to Oxymyoglobin and becomes that familiar bright red of fresh meat. Further time exposed and the Oxymyoglobin becomes Metmyoglobin with that brown color. While raw one form can be manipulated into another restoring the color, or as with Cure a permanent chemical change made. Once cooked well done, a denatured form of Metmyoglobin is formed and the meat will be brown regardless of what you do or add. As far as Botulism protection, adding cure based on the weight of the meat will get you there. Smoke at any temp that works for you...JJ
Note....Above I meant to say cure based on meat and rice. That is likely more than needed as we are not using cure to set the meat color. Sorry...JJ

I asked about using cure #2. Not necessary, use cure #1....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky