Boudin Time!!! Step by step...and pics.- recipe added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I ate at least a pound of boudin tonight for supper. LOL!

Let the boudin sit on ice for a coupe hours and it firmed up like it should...
DSC02627.JPG

Up close pic. of the texture...you can see the gel set in the mix...along with all the fat. I did not skim any off.
DSC02629.JPG

Never can tell how good the batch will be until it firms up on ice. The flavors have to meld, the salt has to equalize through the mix, and the gelatin needs to set. This is a good batch.

Made 9" links, 4 to a pack. roughly 2#'s per pack.
DSC02630.JPG

I estimate I have 42 links so with what I ate and what is in the frig. for breakfast tomorrow, I have 24lbs. of boudin.

Note: this recipe makes about 24-26# and will be on the mild side as far as boudin goes. I suggest making it as is, then adjust to your tastes next go around. Warning-it will be spicy right after you make it. Let it mellow and the rice will absorb the seasoning. sample it for seasoning after the gelatin has set and the boudin is cold. Do Not Salt the rice when you cook it!

Here's my recipe for Boudin:
14# bone in boston butt pork (2 butts about 18 pounds total with fat caps removed and saved for sausage)
1.5# fresh pork liver pureed
4 super large vidalia or Walla walla sweet onions 1/2" chop
1 large green bell pepper 1/2" chop
12 cups finely sliced green onion divided 4 & 8 cups
0.5 TBSPS garlic powder and onion powder
1~5 pound raw pork skins (more you add the smother texture, and a richer flavor the boudin will have.)
OR 3~4 trotters (pork feet- be careful of all the small bones)
8 cups medium grain raw rice + 12 cups water to cook
1.25 gallons water for stock
casing to stuff boudin

Seasoning:
150g non-iodized salt
25g Dark red cayenne powder- NOT flakes.
25g black pepper-medium grind
5g white pepper-fine grind
15g MSG

Divide in half. Season pork butts with half, add the other half to mix when mixing boudin.

To make:
Season pork butts with 1/2 the seasoning. Brown off in a 5gal, jambalaya pot on all sides. when both are done, add onions and bell pepper to pot to sweat them down 10 minutes and deglaze the pot, pull drippings up. When onions are clear, add liver and garlic powder to pot and cook ~10 minutes. Add 4 cups green onions and return seared butts to pot. Add 1.25 gallons of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add pork skins in boil bag to pot and cook for 2 hours. Remove pork skins and dump into a SS bowl, allow to cool slightly. Grind through 4.5 or 3mm plate. Return pork skins to pot to dissolve into gelatin. Continue simmering until bone pulls free and meat falls apart. Chop meat with pot paddle across the grain as pieces break loose. When all meat is good and tender, turn fire off and let cool. It will take 3.5~4 hours to cook the meat.

While pork is simmering-
slice green onions.
prep casings.
when pork is about an hour from being tender, cook rice either in a rice cooker or in the oven (1.5 cups water per cup of rice if cooking in oven. cook @ 350* for about 45 minutes. Turn oven off and reserve rice in oven to keep warm.

When pork is cooled off slightly, strain meat from pot into a 25# meat tote. Add the other half of seasoning evenly over meat. add rice and mix. add green onion and mix. add all liquid from pot and mix.

You can case immediately, or let it cool on ice. You can also leave some uncased as an appetizer with crackers. Also great as fried boudin balls. Great for breakfast too!

*edit to add:
I did not grind the meat. I like the texture of the meat just chopped with the jambalaya paddle, but you can grind it. spread on sheet pan to cool, then grind through a coarse plate. I recommend either 10mm or 12.5mm plate. Grind it too fine and it will have no texture and the mouth feel will be off.

Last edited:
You can cut this recipe in half and use one 7# butt. Take care to use the correct amount of meat and pork liver as the seasonings are weighed out for this weight of meat.

Last edited:
Thanks Indaswamp, that's the best tutorial I've seen in a long time. I've got one question for ya. If you ice it for a couple hours to firm up, how do you stuff it? Or is it firm but still pliable enough to fill a stuffer.

Great tutorial Inda, your boudin looks terrific.

point for sure.
Chirs

You can case immediately, or let it cool on ice. You can also leave some uncased as an appetizer with crackers. Also great as fried boudin balls. Great for breakfast too!

He ain't lying, boudin balls are a great appetizer. But I would have to say my favorite way is to sear some up a touch with a couple of fried eggs for breakfast. I have had a deboned chicken stuffed with it. Its pretty much a universal food!

For those that haven't had the privilege to travel the small portion of the country where they live and breath boudin, be warned the stuff you might find in the brat section of Wally World etc. is not even close to the real thing.

Wow- Great info on how to make- looks awesome but I think we need a sample just so we know we are making it right

Thanks Indaswamp, that's the best tutorial I've seen in a long time. I've got one question for ya. If you ice it for a couple hours to firm up, how do you stuff it? Or is it firm but still pliable enough to fill a stuffer.
It is still pliable. Depends on how much skin you use, more the better.

curious why you have to cook the skin and then grind it, couldnt you save a step and use pre ground skin since you arent really removing anything in your process? I love rice and veggies so adding sausage is just a natural for me... I dont have any cajun influence in my genealogy, but I sure feel like it would work for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky