Boudin Time!!! Step by step...and pics.- recipe added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Foamy's recent thread reminded me that I'm out of boudin. So time to make some!

I pulled two 7# butts out of the freezer early this morning to thaw. Started cooking around lunch. Pulled the old 5gal. cast iron heirloom pot out and fired her up. First seasoned butt inda pot...
DSC02604.JPG

about done on the first one. You want a really good sear on all sides. Don't worry about the charred seasoning, it's suppose to do that as it adds to the flavor.

DSC02605.JPG

Browned the second one the same way then set both roasts in the SS pan while I browned the onions, bell pepper, garlic. Forgot to snap a pic. as a rain shower popped up and I scrambled for cover under the carport.

While the onions were braising down and deglazing the pot, I put 1.5# of pork liver in the food processor to puree...
DSC02606.JPG

Once the veggies get a little color on them and pull the drippings off the pot, time to add the liver and brown it a little.
DSC02607.JPG

Walked to the garden to pick some green onion tops. These are large but it won't matter, they will fall apart in the gravy, adding just for flavor.
DSC02608.JPG

Add them to the pot after the liver has cooked for about 10 minutes...
DSC02609.JPG

About 4 cups sliced green onion inda pot. Cook those for about 5 minutes then it's time to add the roasts back to the pot with 1.25 gallons of water.

Next is the secret ingredient...pork skins. About a pound. More is better.

DSC02611.JPG

You can use 3~4 trotters (pig feet) but when they break down you will have a lot of little bones to dig out. Skin is easier to deal with. Why do you need it you might ask? Collagen... all that collagen breaks down to give you the gelatin which is packed with flavor and makes the boudin silky smooth to slide out of the casing. Not the same without it.

I put the skins in a silicone boil bag to make them easier to retrieve in about 2 hours so I can fine grind them and add them back to the pot.
DSC02612.JPG

You can find the boil bags @ Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/lekue-silicone-bag/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:lekue silicone bag

Last edited:
I also save all the pork butt bones from making sausage. I make pork stock from those and use the pork stock when making boudin. We eat A LOT of boudin around here!! That's why I'm always out!!! LOL!!!

3 hours in and the bones are starting to get loose. not quite tender enough to fall apart yet. I'll keep cooking until the bone slips out clean and the meat falls apart. About to grind the skin and put it back in the pot.

Pulled the skin out of the pot and put that through the 4.5mm plate. Use the smallest one you have. 3mm would be better.

DSC02614.JPG

Pour that back inda pot and let it dissolve into gelatin.

I have 8 cups of raw rice and 12 cups of water in a 2 gallon CI pot int the oven @ 350* cooking. This will be the rice for the boudin.
DSC02615.JPG

Also thin sliced 8 cups of green onion for final mixing of the boudin...
DSC02616.JPG

Last edited:
Bones are ready to pull out...

DSC02617.JPG

Naked Bones...

DSC02618.JPG

Not long now... just gotta let the meat fall apart then I can mix it up together.

Not a quick process but it looks well worth all the effort.

There are faster ways to make boudin, but the flavor doing it this way is why I do it. No short cuts.

The pork butts are usually fall apart tender in ~4 hours, but I think these two were still a little frozen in the middle when I started so it's taking a little longer.

Alright...meat is fall apart tender and the skin has cooked down to gelatin where I want it.

DSC02619.JPG

Turned the fire off to let it cool for a bit so it won't melt the 25# totes I'm using to mix the boudin. Then I'm mix it up.

OK, HERE WE GO!!!

Got the meat portioned out equally in 2 totes...

DSC02620.JPG

Fluffed the rice...

DSC02621.JPG

Added the rest of the seasoning between the two totes...
DSC02622.JPG

split the rice and add in...
DSC02623.JPG

Mix it up, then add the green onions...almost forgot the pic, I mixed the tote on the right.

DSC02624.JPG

And it's mixed. I split the remaining stock in the pot between both totes and mixed it up again.

It's done. Time to sample it!

DSC02626.JPG

Gotta let it cool, then pack into gallon ziplock bags and on ice to let the gelatin set, then I can case.

Reactions: lyanree
For the love of all things that are holly please stop. I am already dehydrated from all the drooling.

That silicon bag is a cool find!

That's a whole lot of sausage and you say you are always running out. Good gravy man! You must make some special kind of sausage.

Boudin is the premiere cajun fast food. You would be shocked to learn just how much is consumed here on a daily basis. "The Best Stop" Boudin shop just outside of Lafayette, Louisiana sells over 2000# of boudin a DAY! And that is just one shop! There are boudin shops all over town! People stop on their way to work for boudin and coffee, people stop by for lunch and get either links or fried pepperjack cheese stuffed boudin balls, and people even stop on the way home from work for supper on the run. Way better than fast food! Locals that have moved to other states stop on their way through and load up ice chests of the stuff to bring back home with them. I have witnessed someone buy 400# at one time and have it packed on ice in his truck for his trip back to Colorado.

Last edited:
Reactions: 73saint and oddegan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky