Boudin and Cure #1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Biggy1

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
Houston Texas
I attempted to make some boudin with 4lbs. of pork and 1lb. of chicken liver for 5lbs. When the meat was cooked and ground it ended up as 3lbs. , so I measured the cure 1 for 3lbs before adding the rice. Can the boudin be eaten or thrown away by the way it's in freezer bags in the freezer now waiting for answers.

How do you eventually plan to cook it? Poaching, grilling, fried (breaded boudin balls) or smoking for longer than 4 hours ?

If you are planning any of the first 3 choices, I can't see the advantage of the #1 Cure, unless you think there will be too much time involved in the handling, or cooling down after the initial cook and while chilling down for grinding. So I'm thinking poaching, frying or grilling will be fine.

The recipe I used said #1 Cure was optional unless smoking, but it did call for basing the amount of cure on the raw weight of the meat(s) and fat. However, it called for adding cure before simmering, which I've understood is not correct procedure *, so I added it to the ground mixture after grinding. Now, for point of discussion.... If smoking longer than 4 hours, is the proper amount of cure based on the meat weight only? And not on the combined weight since your vegetables and rice are in the same casing?

Edit with *: When making a curing brine, and simmering the brine, it's common practice to leave out the curing salts until the brine has chilled down.

I attempted to make some boudin with 4lbs. of pork and 1lb. of chicken liver for 5lbs. When the meat was cooked and ground it ended up as 3lbs. , so I measured the cure 1 for 3lbs before adding the rice. Can the boudin be eaten or thrown away by the way it's in freezer bags in the freezer now waiting for answers.

You only need to add cure #1 if you plan on smoking the boudin. The reason for this is that hot smoking boudin is very difficult to achieve without the casings busting. Ideally, it's best to keep the smokehouse temp. 130~160*. Hot enough to keep the casings dry, and cool enough so that they do not burst.

If you're not planning on smoking the boudin, as mentioned, no cure #1 is necessary . Though you do need to cook the raw casings prior to consumption. Hot water bath is best, followed by steaming.

Cook this batch by some other means than Cool Smoking below 225°F.
Since there is no way of telling if there are any Bacterial Spores still in the Rice. Adding Cure only to the meat may not be enough to kill what may be in the Rice...JJ

Cook this batch by some other means than Cool Smoking below 225°F.
Since there is no way of telling if there are any Bacterial Spores still in the Rice. Adding Cure only to the meat may not be enough to kill what may be in the Rice...JJ
So I should leave it in the freezer until I get ready to poach ?

You can pull it out to Defrost in the refer 2-3 days out...JJ

I was told by a local meat scientist (he has worked with the USDA for over 25 years), that if you want to smoke the boudin, that you should add cure to the entire mix based on total weight (everything included, not just the meat).

Reactions: indaswamp
Chefjimmyj, thanks for the input. I trust this person a great deal, but I do you as well. So, to hear you echo his sentiments makes me that much more confident about the process.
So I add the cure #1 when everything is cooked and mixed right?

So I add the cure #1 when everything is cooked and mixed right?
Yes this is what I gathered. Once everything is added to the mix (rice, pork, green onion, seasoning, pork liver, etc. then add your cure based on weight, mix, case and smoke.

I plan to make a large batch this weekend (gathering final ingredients now). Once everything has been done (I am following indaswamp indaswamp 's recipe), I plan to split the batch, and do half cured and smoked, and half the regular way. This is something that I have been wanting to do for quite some time. Can't wait to try!

Yes this is what I gathered. Once everything is added to the mix (rice, pork, green onion, seasoning, pork liver, etc. then add your cure based on weight, mix, case and smoke.

I plan to make a large batch this weekend (gathering final ingredients now). Once everything has been done (I am following indaswamp indaswamp 's recipe), I plan to split the batch, and do half cured and smoked, and half the regular way. This is something that I have been wanting to do for quite some time. Can't wait to try!
Thanks 73 Saint.

Reactions: 73saint
All the ingredients get simmered or steamed. Plenty hot enough to kill active bacteria but not the Spores of the really nasty Toxin producing bacteria. Put the Spore laden Boudin mix in a casing, Oxygen free, then in a comfy 100°F or so smoker, for several hours and those spores become active and multiply rapidly. You can Smoke hot and fast, 225+, with no cure #1 but as pointed out risk blow outs. All other Hot cooking methods or fast cooking can be done without cure...JJ
73saint 73saint I've not worked for the USDA but the food safety program I am certified to teach was written in cooperation with and following USDA regulations for food service operations

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky