Boston Butt Sliced what internal temperature.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oconeeal

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Georgia
I have been doing some great pull pork and my wife want some sliced pork.  What is the internal temperature I should cook too?  Do you foil at any point and do you rest in after you pull off the smoker?  Thanks for any input.  

Tends to be around 190 for sliced. Just need to have a bit more firm. Pulled or sliced I never wrap and always rest a piece of meat. Shorter rest for sliced than pulled.

Slicing is tricky.  Don't do it much?

Tough cut needs higher internal temps to break down the connective tissue.  If not done carefully, you can either have tough meat or meat that is better for pulling.

Wifey has the knack for it in the oven.  I never quite mastered the sliced roast on the smoker.

Good luck and good smoking.

I just did a "butt" yesterday. I inject it with apple juice, rest it in the fridge for 3 hrs in a large zip loc bag, out of the fridge ,into an aluminum pan, discard the marinade, cook 3hrs in the pan at 250-275,out of the smoker , spray lightly with apple juice, pour a small amount of apple juice in the pan(enough to cover the bottom)cover pan and butt with foil ,back in the smoker for approximately 5hrs. you need to watch the internal temp at this point ,I use a probe with a digital external read. When the butt gets to 195-200 degrees I take the foil off,mop it with a hog glaze, and close all the vents up, this will hopefully start the glaze to caramelize

while the butt rests!!!The pan is a great method to try because the meat gets a smokey flavor while it cooks in its own juices!! The 195 -200 temp starts the process of rendering the fat to liquid !

LETS DD Mau

I just did a "butt" yesterday. I inject it with apple juice, rest it in the fridge for 3 hrs in a large zip loc bag, out of the fridge ,into an aluminum pan, discard the marinade, cook 3hrs in the pan at 250-275,out of the smoker , spray lightly with apple juice, pour a small amount of apple juice in the pan(enough to cover the bottom)cover pan and butt with foil ,back in the smoker for approximately 5hrs. you need to watch the internal temp at this point ,I use a probe with a digital external read. When the butt gets to 195-200 degrees I take the foil off,mop it with a hog glaze, and close all the vents up, this will hopefully start the glaze to caramelize

while the butt rests!!!The pan is a great method to try because the meat gets a smokey flavor while it cooks in its own juices!! The 195 -200 temp starts the process of rendering the fat to liquid !

LETS DD Mau
This resulted in meat that was firm enough to slice?

Yes Im pretty sure the butt could've been sliced with a really sharp knife,it was extremely juicey but still had some body to it.I shredded the roast with a couple of forks and poured the hot juice from the pan on top.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky