Boneless Turkey Breast - Where do you buy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sal Barsanti

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
Webberville, MI
After traveling to Texas in 2019 and experiencing wonderful smoked turkey breast (large slices) it made me wonder why I can only find small turkey breasts at the local Krogers and top BBQ places apparently get other boneless birds to smoke. Where does everyone buy their boneless turkey breast to smoke?

Last year I couldn't hardly find any boneless turkey breast two weeks before Thanksgiving. I finally found a few at a local Krogers. After thawing the turkey breast for my Thanksgiving early morning smoke I was shocked at how small the pieces were when I cut the netting away to apply the rub. Why are these so much smaller than what the true BBQ joints of Texas seemingly have? Are there premium places to order large boneless turkey breast? Compared to buying from a Meijer, Kroger or Costco?

Thoughts? Where do you find decent BONELESS turkey breast?

I'm looking forward to hosting a large family gathering for Thanksgiving and I don't want 50 small turkey breast pieces on the smoker!!!

After traveling to Texas in 2019 and experiencing wonderful smoked turkey breast (large slices) it made me wonder why I can only find small turkey breasts at the local Krogers and top BBQ places apparently get other boneless birds to smoke. Where does everyone buy their boneless turkey breast to smoke?

Last year I couldn't hardly find any boneless turkey breast two weeks before Thanksgiving. I finally found a few at a local Krogers. After thawing the turkey breast for my Thanksgiving early morning smoke I was shocked at how small the pieces were when I cut the netting away to apply the rub. Why are these so much smaller than what the true BBQ joints of Texas seemingly have? Are there premium places to order large boneless turkey breast? Compared to buying from a Meijer, Kroger or Costco?

Thoughts? Where do you find decent BONELESS turkey breast?

I'm looking forward to hosting a large family gathering for Thanksgiving and I don't want 50 small turkey breast pieces on the smoker!!!

Born and raised in TX and never saw big boneless for sale in normal places and not even in non-normal places like costco, restaurant stores, etc.

I'm with indaswamp indaswamp you can find giant whole turkeys like 25 pound + and if you bone out the breast you can get the giant breast you are looking for :)

Then you can also cure and smoke the drums and thighs for state fair style dark meat, mmmm so good!

The Giant Boneless Breasts are from Restaurant Distributors. They are 3-4 Lobes off two Turkeys, meat glued together. After injection with broth, they are covered with Skin and sealed in a super hvy duty foil bag. Raw weight is about 8 pounds. You can roast in the foil or unwrap and smoke them. They come 4 to a case. There are some restaurant supply companies that sell direct to Walk-in customers. And some Warehouse Stores may carry them...JJ

We actually liked the turkey the best of all the fare we had at Rudy's so I get what your saying. Was already said and agree, bone a big bird is probably your best best but the info above about meat glue/lunch meat is on point on how it is really done. Honestly, I think if the flavor is there, size should not be an issue.

tallbm tallbm suggestion to bone the breast and cure the remainder of the turkey is EXACTLY what I would do and do not be surprised if folks like the cured dark meat as much or better than the breast. IMO to get turkey breast close to what I had and that is not exactly an easy task, you'd need to inject and use some STPP.

I just get the Buterball one’s at Wally World. They are all 3 lbs. So they are probably glued together, but you can get white meat, or a combo of white & dark. We go for the white meat. Smoked & thin sliced with the gravy pack that comes with them & mashed potato’s. Good stuff!
Al

Reactions: Sal Barsanti
I just get the Buterball one’s at Wally World. They are all 3 lbs. So they are probably glued together, but you can get white meat, or a combo of white & dark. We go for the white meat. Smoked & thin sliced with the gravy pack that comes with them & mashed potato’s. Good stuff!
Al

I did a bunch of those with the included gravy packs last year for a big church event and they were really good.. just under 3 lbs each and they cook up fast, slice up easy and perfect for a big meal.

My wife is a "snob" about making her own homemade gravy so that's the direction we go and the gravy packs get thrown away but for the price and the convenience, it's a great way to go.

My Costco gets some Butterball ones in a few weeks before Thanksgiving. I think they're 4.5 lbs each. I usually get 2, brine in OJ, and then smoke with orange wood. That seems to be the family favorite.

I did a bunch of those with the included gravy packs last year for a big church event and they were really good.. just under 3 lbs each and they cook up fast, slice up easy and perfect for a big meal.

My wife is a "snob" about making her own homemade gravy so that's the direction we go and the gravy packs get thrown away but for the price and the convenience, it's a great way to go.

That’s funny Jeff, cause Judy always makes her own gravy, except for these turkey breasts. We like the gravy as much as her homemade. If you haven’t ever tried it, you may want to.
Al

Buy a large turkey and bone it out....

I agree. I buy a large whole turkey breast on the bone, bone it out, season the inside as I desire, apply a transglutiminase (meat glue) slurry, reverse the ends to form something of an even cylinder shape, then wrap very tightly with cling film to better form the cylinder.

If I'm really feeling ambitious, I carefully remove the skin before boning the breast, a set it aside. When the initial cylinder is formed, I trim the skin and "glue" it on the cylinder, then wrap with cling film, and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky