Boneless Berkshire Fresh Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Just ordered a 12 to 15-lb boneless Berkshire fresh ham from Heritage Berkshire - going to put it on the rotisserie and reminisce about Grandma cooking a fresh ham every Christmas and how much I miss that wonderful roast she made!

They call it boneless rolled and tied (comes in a mesh thing) so I am going to remove the mesh and tie it around the spit - cross-hatch the fat and stick some cloves in it and give it a SPOG rub and roast that bad boy on the spit.

I'm hungry. Pics coming soon!

I am still waiting to hear from Heritage Berkshire - they must be out in the field chasing that hog down! :emoji_laughing:

This is a "fresh ham" i.e. not cured / not Virginia type ham - Grandma use to roast one every Christmas and I could never wait to get to her house to mangiare! So good...

I'll probably cut it in half so if I wreck half on the spit I will still have half to roast in the convection oven.

I will keep y'all posted!

Well UPS says its on the way - should be interesting to see if it makes here safely in the middle of this ice storm...

Just seeing this too .
185 / 190 should make a nice slice . Man it sounds good . We used to eat a bunch of roast pork legs when I was a kid .
Be watching .

Reactions: Retired Spook
Whew - I got them on the phone and they are going to hold it and ship it out on Monday...

Thank God.

Just seeing this too .
185 / 190 should make a nice slice . Man it sounds good . We used to eat a bunch of roast pork legs when I was a kid .
Be watching .
I do not know what temperature Grandma would cook hers to but my sister did confirm that she would crosshatch the fat, rub brown sugar all over it, and stick cloves in the crosshatch intersections - so that is my plan.

I am going to cut it in half (supposed to be 12 to 15-lbs - boneless), roast half in the convection oven, and freeze half.

Reactions: chopsaw
I do not know what temperature Grandma would cook hers to

If you're looking to slice it , 185 to 190 should work . Being boned and rolled you want to get it at least 165 to be safe . At 165 I think it will be tuff .
This is a pork cushion that comes from around the picnic . Close in texture to a fresh ham . I have a thread on this , but I think I took it to 190 .
1675288200358.jpeg

If you're looking to slice it , 185 to 190 should work . Being boned and rolled you want to get it at least 165 to be safe . At 165 I think it will be tuff .
This is a pork cushion that comes from around the picnic . Close in texture to a fresh ham . I have a thread on this , but I think I took it to 190 .
View attachment 656549
Man that looks real good!

The last thing I want to do is dry it out. America's Test Kitchen is saying 160 then give it an hour rest - I suppose I could try that and if tough, stick in back in the oven?

I sure wish Grandma was still around :(

Last edited:
America's Test Kitchen is saying 160 then give it an hour rest -
Well I normally wouldn't match wits with ATK . Was that for an actual green ham , or what cut was it ?
Pork butt , picnic shoulder cuts need 185 ish for sliceable . Maybe that ham leg is lean enough 160 works . The pork cushion is close to the same texture though .

Reactions: Retired Spook
Well I normally wouldn't match wits with ATK . Was that for an actual green ham , or what cut was it ?
Pork butt , picnic shoulder cuts need 185 ish for sliceable . Maybe that ham leg is lean enough 160 works . The pork cushion is close to the same texture though .
A fresh ham - an uncured rear leg portion. Theirs was bone in shank portion. All I know is Grandma's was awesome and I haven't seen a fresh ham in a store in 30-years so when I saw the boneless rolled and tied on Heritage Pork's site I went for it.

ATK was about the only recipe I could find! Theirs looked pretty good but they roasted it in a bag.

Tony Chacheres makes commercial injections available at most large grocery chains. Flavor, phosphates and other enhancers all in a nice liquid ready to inject. Comes with an injector too.
I will check it out.

The Tony C's come like this .
1675428472969.jpeg
I use the Creole butter or the roasted garlic .
The only one that does not have phosphates or sodium is the Praline ham , because it's used for baking an already cured and smoked ham .
So pick one that list salt and phosphates in the ingredients if you decide to use one . Inject and hold over night in the fridge works best In my opinion .
I use it with pork loins . I just pump it as full as I can . The meat will naturally retain
around 10% .
1675428849593.jpeg
Comes out nice and juicy .
1675428911195.jpeg

The frozen (I thought it was actually not frozen), fresh-ham, is on it's way! My stomach is growlin...

I ordered the roasted garlic and herb injection.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky