Bone in cured and smoked chops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nice Start Adam!!!
icon14.gif

Our Weiss' had Bone-in Pork Loin for $1.48 too.

I didn't want to Dry cure any because of the sharp bones, but I was going to get some & slice a mess of Pork Chops for the freezer at that Great price!!

Then I didn't get a chance to get there yesterday----The last day of the sale!!

Oh Well---I'll just have to watch yours!!

popcorn.gif

Bear
I have been itchin to do a bone in loin.   Now was the time.

Nice Start Adam!!!
icon14.gif

Our Weiss' had Bone-in Pork Loin for $1.48 too.

I didn't want to Dry cure any because of the sharp bones, but I was going to get some & slice a mess of Pork Chops for the freezer at that Great price!!

Then I didn't get a chance to get there yesterday----The last day of the sale!!

Oh Well---I'll just have to watch yours!!

popcorn.gif

Bear
I feel your pain!

Happy smoken.

David

I warm smoke similar to Bear, but my IT only reaches about 120.

I warm smoke similar to Bear, but my IT only reaches about 120.
Even though cured, 135° minimum (partially cooked) IT would be preferable, lessening the chances of nasties forming.  Fully cooked is 146° minimum, I usually go to 150°.  I know me.  If it's smoked to any degree, I will munch a bunch impulsively regardless, as will my sons, so I know enough to get everything I smoke past 146°, lol!

Like Pops said, I like to go to between 145* IT and 150* IT while smoking.

That way you can eat it cold or just warm it up a bit before eating, without the possibilities of any Nasties.

Plus your only cooking it once (while smoking), and you don't have to worry about burning it in the pan, because it's so lean.

This is why it was so Great that the USDA dropped the safe temp from 160* IT to 145* IT.

Bear

I have said this in the past, and its just what I have found that makes me happy. Just because a meat has a min. safely cooked temp. it doesn't mean its always the best temp for me to cook it. I took a ham to 145 once and I had to go back and re-cook it. I just didn't care for it that raw. I am sure others do, I understand the lowest point has the most juice and flavor too. I just didn't care for a raw ham texture at all. Just me.

I had always been locked into hitting the min. acceptable IT on ever smoke till then. I learned that just because you can, it doesn't mean I should. Wow that sounds like something I would have heard back behind the woodshed just before the positive reinforcemnet commenced...>ROFLMAO.

I have said this in the past, and its just what I have found that makes me happy. Just because a meat has a min. safely cooked temp. it doesn't mean its always the best temp for me to cook it. I took a ham to 145 once and I had to go back and re-cook it. I just didn't care for it that raw. I am sure others do, I understand the lowest point has the most juice and flavor too. I just didn't care for a raw ham texture at all. Just me.

I had always been locked into hitting the min. acceptable IT on ever smoke till then. I learned that just because you can, it doesn't mean I should. Wow that sounds like something I would have heard back behind the woodshed just before the positive reinforcemnet commenced...>ROFLMAO.
I totally agree with you on many meats, however I used to smoke my Canadian Bacon to 160* years ago before they changed Safe Pork to 145* IT. The CB was much too dry at 160* IT, but perfect between 145* and 150* IT.

Bear

Question for the ones that uses the brine, should I cover the bucket while in the fridge?

Can't wait to see the end result on this one!! Just one more thing from the great members at this site for me to try out!

Now, for my dad, the only way to cut those chops, fresh or smoked, would be at the block with a knife and a cleaver.... regular chops, cut in between the bones twice, then cleave one chop without the bone and one chop with the bone.  No matter how drunk he was he could cleave chops like no other, and never hit his thumb!  That's how we had to learn, too (sober, though, at age 12, lol!).

Dad at the block (cutting beef, not chops) but you can tell it is well used!

a

Last edited:
Reactions: bdskelly
I am not that good, I have a meat band saw.

Great pic.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky