Boiling meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwags55

Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Newbie again Do any of y'all suggest boiling beef or pork before smoking it & your reason why Thanks for any input David in Slidell Louisiana

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!
PDT_Armataz_01_35.gif

Back away from the pot of water.... lol. Boiling of meats was a way resteraunts and folks without smokers would try and get meat tender. With a smoker you are cooking with low, indirect heat and that is making the meat tender for you. If anybody tells you to boil the meat, smack them upside the head and don't give them any BBQ!
biggrin.gif

Boiling meat is the 8th of the 7 deadly sins!!!!

icon_cool.gif

Like everyone BUT Placbo said it's not a good thing and it just might get you highest member with the Ignore button used on  them. It's really not a good thing around here. In fact the last that asked that isn't here anymore.

Last edited:
Ah yes, another rib soup thread.
nonono2.gif

I have an "adopted son" that works for a restaurant that has ribs on the menu- he thought that they had decent ribs until he had some of my ribs off of the Lang. He later found out that they boiled their ribs before putting them on the grill.

icon_cool.gif

Like everyone BUT Placbo said it's not a good thing and it just might get you highest member with the Ignore button used on  them. It's really not a good thing around here. In fact the last that asked that isn't here anymore.
Lol just figured the four pro's before me had him covered well. Is FUN no longer allowed here?

Hey I knew better I was just trying to prove a point to my sweet little wife of 30 PLUS YEARS I hope she will get the message now Thank you all folks Thank you all folksThank you all folks       Thank you all folks  Thank you all folks    

Thank you all folks   Thank you all folks   of coarse y'all know I'm in trouble now which is not unusual for me I told y'all to be gentle with me I am a newbie

Thanks Folks

David in Slidell, Louisiana

mmmmmmmmmmmm boiled ribs......

Never done that..how they taste??

Craig

Hey David,

In my humble opinion the best way to impress your bride is to smoke some for her and then let her decide.

When I brought my WSM home my bride (and the whole family) said smoked meat is not good, it has a horrible taste and makes our mouths tingle, now, a few years later, when we are in the store cruising through the meat section, she will often ask me what it was that I smoked... sometime in the past and then encourage me to smoke it again, ...heh heh, now most of the time she is the one picking out the meat for me to smoke or grill!

Gene

Yeah.... once you introduce somebody to some true slow cooked BBQ, they will never be able to go back to those "BBQ" restraunts that do stuff like boiling ribs. I have given up on eating BBQ at a resteraunt.... none of them match what I can make at home for 1/2 the price... lol.

Heck Johnny, I don't think any of us can buy bbq anymore. 

Yeah.... once you introduce somebody to some true slow cooked BBQ, they will never be able to go back to those "BBQ" restraunts that do stuff like boiling ribs. I have given up on eating BBQ at a resteraunt.... none of them match what I can make at home for 1/2 the price... lol.

My uncle was bragging how good his ribs are because they are fall of the bone tender because he boils or pressure cooks them. I also had two guys at work talking about the same thing and that is what makes ribs so good and tender. I just shook my head and walked away. Obviously they have never had a good rib off of a smoker. Funny thing though when we tried to have a rib cook off at my family reunion last summer my uncle said he would join but then decided he didn't want to do it because he didn't want to have to follow the rules. Basically his ribs must consist of fall off the bone tender ribs because they are boiled to death and then covered to the hills in BBQ sauce. If that's what you like then who am I to judge. But I know better.

hijack2.gif

My mom does her ribs in the oven, then covers in BBQ sauce.  She gets mad at me when I tell her that's not BBQ.  She says "of course it is.  It's ribs and it's got BBQ sauce on it."  "It has to be BBQ" 

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif
 Oh mom, God bless you.

hijack2.gif

My mom does her ribs in the oven, then covers in BBQ sauce.  She gets mad at me when I tell her that's not BBQ.  She says "of course it is.  It's ribs and it's got BBQ sauce on it."  "It has to be BBQ" 

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif
 Oh mom, God bless you.
There are a lot of people out there who consider BBQ as stuff with BBQ sauce smeared all over it. Or cooked on the grill as well I always hear it called BBQ.

My buddy complains about my ribs because of the tug... I told him a good rib needs a slight tug... he told me how his girlfriend's friend makes the best ribs... fall off the bone and they are sooooooo good... come to find out... they are boild... Hey, you can lead them to water...........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky