Bodacious Burnt End Chuckies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Those scrumptious Burnt Ends so many of us love so much.

I have a great smoke planned for tomorrow, Burnt End Chuckies and a bone-in Butt for PP.
But lets talk Chuckies and Burnt Ends, YUM!
Publix had Chucks, Butts and Pork Tenderloins on sale and I had to get my BBQ fix.
So here I am with two 3# chucks and a 9.5# Butt... Whats a BBQ fanatic to do? Get their burn on! :grilling_smilie:
Ok, lets do this.

Rub
1.5C Brown Sugar
1C Seasoned salt
3/4C Paprika
.5C Cajun seasoning
.25C Onion powder
2T Garlic powder

Marinade
1C Worcestershire sauce
.25C Soy sauce
2T Fish sauce
1T Garlic, minced

Make numerous slits about half way through, in one side of roasts
Rub each side with heaping T of rub
Place in container slits up, pour 3/4 of the marinade around meat, then drizzle with rest of marinade, being careful not to wash rub off.
You want the marinade to get into the slits with some rub.
Marinate in refrigerator for 8-12hrs.

Fire up the smoker with you favorite wood, I'll use Hickory.
Smoke at 225'-240' till they hit about 190'.
Remove and let them rest for about an hour.
Then cube the meat and place in a deep disposable aluminum pan

I add a generous amount of rub, approx 5T +/-.
Then a very generous amount of your favorite BBQ sauce.
And lastly, add approx 1C of your favorite Cola, I'll be using Cherry Dr. Pepper.
Mix well to cover meat thoroughly.
Wrap pan tightly with aluminum foil, and then back into the smoker for a few hours until they glaze over really well and are melt in your mouth tender.

The Meat

Meat Meets Marinade

Lots More Pics to Come

Last edited:
Reactions: flash gordon m.d.
This is a great way to make some burnt ends. I'm going to have to make some soon! Problem is, I almost make myself sick from eating so many!

This is a great way to make some burnt ends. I'm going to have to make some soon! Problem is, I almost make myself sick from eating so many!
Yes it is, danged good grub.
I may not eat till sick, but for sure going to be full as tick on a hound for the weekend.
I foresee several nice naps.
Is it ready yet?
I wish the burnt ends were :drool
Food hits the grates at 0400am.
In for the ride.
Strap in and hang on!

Last edited:
The Chucks hit 190' about 1300.
I removed them and let'em rest for a little over an hour.
Then I cubed, sauced and returned them to smoker to finish.

I add a generous amount of rub, approx 5T +/-.
Then a very generous amount of your favorite BBQ sauce.
And lastly, add approx 1C of your favorite Cola, I'll be using Cherry Dr. Pepper.
Mix well to cover meat thoroughly.
Wrap pan tightly with aluminum foil, and then back into the smoker for a few hours until they glaze over really well and are melt in your mouth tender.

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170506_141330615_zpseyeavzb7.jpg.html

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170506_141631052_zpsu0ut1ecw.jpg.html

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170506_142353950_zpssel8xk0d.jpg.html

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170506_142732698_zpsxknsxkbi.jpg.html

Money shot in a few hours. Thumbs Up

Cover the pan in foil?  I haven't seen that elsewhere.  Do you still cut a nice "crispening" of the outside?  And do you up the temp?
The Chucks hit 190' about 1300.
I removed them and let'em rest for a little over an hour.
Then I cubed, sauced and returned them to smoker to finish.

Do you rest in the open, or wrap in foil and towel and into a warmed cooler?

Cover the pan in foil? I haven't seen that elsewhere. Do you still cut a nice "crispening" of the outside? And do you up the temp?

Do you rest in the open, or wrap in foil and towel and into a warmed cooler?
I'm always experimenting.
Last time I didn't cover with foil, this time I did, seeing what finishes I get.
Both had nice finishing on the meat, I prefer moist-n-tender, not crunchy edges.
Yes, I up the temp upwards of 275'-300'.

I usually rest double wrapped in foil and a kitchen hand towel when I'm going to be serving in the next hour or so.
I only use a cooler/cambro or the oven to rest/hold for long periods.
How was the sample before you put them back on???
Yummy, I tried cubes plain and sauced.
Oh yeah. I'm going to give this a try.

Gonna give the burnt ends a try next week during my birthday vacation. Will share my 1st attempt. Thanks for sharing.
Welcome.
Dang'it Man! :yahoo: Yeah, that good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky