BLTs with Canned Tomatoes (Experiment)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
BLTs with Canned Tomatoes (Experiment)

OK—You guys are gonna laugh, especially those of you who have Great, nearly year-round access to Awesome Fresh Garden Maters.
I’m sick & tired of the Tomatoes they sell around here in our Markets, especially during our Long Winter.
They are tasteless, and not at all juicy.

When we grew our own, we had Great Tomatoes between Around July & November, but since we stopped growing Tomatoes, all we can get is the Lousy Store bought ones, except when we can find some at a Roadside Stand in the area.

So when I was Computer Shopping for our “Pick-up Groceries at Giant Market”, I ran into a section on “Canned Tomatoes”. They have Canned Tomato Sauce, Paste, Diced, and Whole Peeled Tomatoes.
That “Whole Peeled” got me thinking——HMMMMmmmmm, I wonder how they’d be in a BLT???
So I added a small 14.5 ounce can of Whole Peeled Tomatoes for 69¢ to our order, to give it a try.
They were much more juicy than store bought, and though they were not as good as a Fresh Garden Grown Tomatoes, they are definitely
good enough to do it again.

So the rest of this Thread is just frying the Bacon & Toasting the Bread, and adding the Miracle Whip to the BLTs.

That last plate was a leftover slice of Prime Rib on a Roll with Jeff’e BBQ Sauce and another BLT with some slices of “Canned Tomato”.

That’s about it—Thanks for stopping by.

BTW: I can fill 4 or 5 BLTs with these Canned Maters, and I put plenty in each one.

Bear

One 14.5 ounce can of "Whole Peeled Tomatoes" @ 69¢:
IMG_5594.jpeg

This is what they look like in the can (Nice & Juicy):
IMG_5595.jpeg

Miracle Whip, Lettuce, and Canned Maters:
IMG_5596.jpeg

And of course the Bacon:
IMG_5597.jpeg

Close 'em Up:
IMG_5598.jpeg

I like to cut them in half, like most Restaurants around here do:
IMG_5599.jpeg

Next Night, getting another BLT & a leftover Prime Rib Sammy together:
IMG_5601.jpeg

Frying some Bacon:
IMG_5602.jpeg

Miracle Whip & Bacon on the BLT, and Jeff's BBQ Sauce on the PR Sammy:
IMG_5603.jpeg

Add the Lettuce to the BLT:
IMG_5604.jpeg

Add the Canned Maters to the BLT, and the Prime Rib slice to the Roll:
IMG_5605.jpeg

Another Bear Supper!!
IMG_5606.jpeg

Last edited:
As a man much more intelligent than me said" Innovation is the ability to see change as an opportunity".
Nice outside the box thinking. I love BLT's with tomatoes that actually have taste to them.
I live in Canada and grow my own. Come July/ August it's so nice to have real fresh tomatoes.

Looks amazing. I think Julia Child would approve.

Nothing wrong with that Bear, as long as it’s good eats!

I hear ya on the off season tomatoes, they’re pretty bland and tasteless here. It kinda makes you appreciate the fresh ones in the summer.

Wegmans sells a carton of cherry tomatoes called “flavor bombs.” They’re available most of the year and are pretty awesome but they fetch a pretty penny.

Nothing wrong with that Bear, as long as it’s good eats!

I hear ya on the off season tomatoes, they’re pretty bland and tasteless here. It kinda makes you appreciate the fresh ones in the summer.

Wegmans sells a carton of cherry tomatoes called “flavor bombs.” They’re available most of the year and are pretty awesome but they fetch a pretty penny.
We get those as well. From sams though. Wife eats them every single day for lunch. Carton a week lol
IMG_20200813_095357.jpg

Reactions: xray
I've not tried Canned Tomatoes on a Sandwich, creative thinking John, but I am a fan of eating them out of the can. Treat yourself to CENTO Certified San Marzano Tomatoes. They are imported from Italy. There are brands that say," San Marzano Style " but they're not the same...JJ

Ha that old Bear has come up with another great creation. We can our own so will have to give this a try this winter. If you were closer I could keep you supplied.

Warren

Reactions: flatbroke
I really like these whole canned tomatoes. I have them once in a while as a veggie for dinner. Just heat and eat with salt and pepper. I never would have thought about using them in a sandwich. Great idea.

It's always said when life gives you lemons to make lemonade. Some darned good thinking John, the maters from that can look rich and flavorful. Not a darned thing wrong with that prime rib sammy either, Like! RAY

That will work. Thanks for the idea , I certainly may need. My tomatoes and bell peppers developed bottom end rot again. Google tells me to treat with gypsum for added calcium. Trying, hoping to save a few producing plants. Darn it. . .

I've not tried Canned Tomatoes on a Sandwich, creative thinking John, but I am a fan of eating them out of the can. Treat yourself to CENTO Certified San Marzano Tomatoes. They are imported from Italy. There are brands that say," San Marzano Style " but they're not the same...JJ

Thanks Jimmy!
I have 2 cans of "Cento Certified San Marzano", but they're 28 ounce cans, and I'm waiting to find out how long they keep once I open the can.
That can I showed on this Thread (first Pic) was the only small can I could find @ 14.5 ounces.

So this is how I pick what cans to order:
#1 Small can (14.5 oz), until I find out how long they keep, after opening.
#2 Lower Sodium amount---between 20 & 40 mg per 1/2 cup.
#3 Cento Certified Sam Marzano. I haven't seen any of this in the 14.5 oz can.

And Thanks for the Like, Jimmy.

Bear

Nothing wrong with that bear. Way to adapt and overcome. Thankfully I live in the south and have access to some awesome tomatoes for several months out of the year. Nice looking sammiches bud

Thank You Jake!!
We used to grow Awesome Tomatoes, but the last few years we've gotten way too much rain---Too much work too.

Bear
As a man much more intelligent than me said" Innovation is the ability to see change as an opportunity".
Nice outside the box thinking. I love BLT's with tomatoes that actually have taste to them.
I live in Canada and grow my own. Come July/ August it's so nice to have real fresh tomatoes.

Thank You Mac!!
These were a lot better than I expected.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky