1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Blow the door off my smoker.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snot00011, Dec 8, 2018 at 4:40 PM.

1. snot00011

snot00011 Smoke Blower

I just heard a big boom and ran outside and found the door on my smoker had blow off. Any ideas?
    20181208_142507.jpg

2. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

KABLAM! Damn... Yeah, if it's gas and the burner goes out gas can accumulate and then explosively ignite from a live ember in the wood used for smoke.

3. snot00011

snot00011 Smoke Blower

It's an electric smoker. Was prepping to smoke some Chex mix.

4. snot00011

snot00011 Smoke Blower

Chex mix with Cherry, pecan, and hickory mix. 20181208_134818.jpg

motolife313 likes this.
  5. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru

snot00011 likes this.
  6. snot00011

snot00011 Smoke Blower

Thanks, I think that might had been the problem. I have had it pop open before just never door blow off. Good news is I was about fix the door back on hinges and I'm smoking again.

7. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru

Good to hear. Just make sure your not standing in front of the smoker until your sure it's completely fixed. We have plenty of one and done members join up - we just need a real one and done. Good luck and happy smoking.

Chris

snot00011 and chilerelleno like this.
  8. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i like smoked chex mix, think i'll put it on my list. sorry bout your smoker

snot00011 likes this.
  9. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

MES Strikes again be glad no one was in front of it
    Richie

snot00011 likes this.
  10. snot00011

snot00011 Smoke Blower

If I'm looking for a replacement what should I get?

11. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have an old MES30 and had that happen.... I used a step drill and drilled out the 3 holes in the end of the chip loader tube to provide more air and increase air flow into the smoker... I was using chips also... I reduced my chip load to 1/4 cup at a time... had to reload every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes but I never had another blow out...
    MB didn't have the air resupply engineered too well... Hell, they probably never tried out the smoker... Just built it on a wing and a prayer...

12. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Look at the Sausage Maker's
    30 lb. Digital Country Style Smoker

13. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru

Replacement smoker? Since I'm a Weberholic I know what I'd suggest. Don't give up on the electric boogaloo just yet maybe someone like @tallbm can help you out with fixing it.

Chris

14. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Fire up the big chief ! Were the original chip loaders full capacity ? You could load the full length of the loader ? Mine has a block off so only half can be loaded at a time . I thought I read something about that .

I dodged that bullet one time . Lucky the pressure blew past the door gasket .

15. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I like the convenience of my gas grill/smoker as listed in my Sig line.

16. thebarbequeen

thebarbequeen Smoking Fanatic

WOW! I haven't seen that before! If you stick with electric, I use a Cookshack. It's amazing but they are pricey!! If you are very patient and diligent occasionally one pops up on Craigslist. I would definitely consider a Traeger, they put out consistently good smokes.

17. snot00011

snot00011 Smoke Blower

18. tallbm

tallbm Master of the Pit

Wow I'm glad everything turned out alright for you!
    If your current smoker still works without any structural issues then I would keep with it and suggest switching to a mailbox mod and an AMNPS so you get TBS and no need to use wood chips and no overloading it.

Also in the Dallas area I have run across MES 40 units for sale on Craiglist for $40-50. To me those are simple rewire candidates to use with a PID controller... and the AMNPS again hahaha. You would be hard pressed to find a better performing electric smoker than a rewired MES40 with a PID controller! The cost is reasonable too when you pay $40-50 for an MES40 that someone is unloading and it does not matter if the electronics work or not since you will bypass all that anyhow :)

Now if I was going to buy brand new and didn't worry much about the money I would get the Smokin-IT 3D. It has a PID controller and looks rock solid! The only thing I personally would need to do with it is figure out how to attach a mailbox mod with the AMNPS to it :)

Just some food for thought.