Blow the door off my smoker.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snot00011

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
Seattle
I just heard a big boom and ran outside and found the door on my smoker had blow off. Any ideas?
20181208_142507.jpg

Thanks, I think that might had been the problem. I have had it pop open before just never door blow off. Good news is I was about fix the door back on hinges and I'm smoking again.

Good to hear. Just make sure your not standing in front of the smoker until your sure it's completely fixed. We have plenty of one and done members join up - we just need a real one and done. Good luck and happy smoking.

Chris

I have an old MES30 and had that happen.... I used a step drill and drilled out the 3 holes in the end of the chip loader tube to provide more air and increase air flow into the smoker... I was using chips also... I reduced my chip load to 1/4 cup at a time... had to reload every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes but I never had another blow out...
MB didn't have the air resupply engineered too well... Hell, they probably never tried out the smoker... Just built it on a wing and a prayer...

If I'm looking for a replacement what should I get?

Replacement smoker? Since I'm a Weberholic I know what I'd suggest. Don't give up on the electric boogaloo just yet maybe someone like tallbm tallbm can help you out with fixing it.

Chris

Fire up the big chief ! Were the original chip loaders full capacity ? You could load the full length of the loader ? Mine has a block off so only half can be loaded at a time . I thought I read something about that .

I dodged that bullet one time . Lucky the pressure blew past the door gasket .

WOW! I haven't seen that before! If you stick with electric, I use a Cookshack. It's amazing but they are pricey!! If you are very patient and diligent occasionally one pops up on Craigslist. I would definitely consider a Traeger, they put out consistently good smokes.

Replacement smoker? Since I'm a Weberholic I know what I'd suggest. Don't give up on the electric boogaloo just yet maybe someone like tallbm tallbm can help you out with fixing it.

Chris

Wow I'm glad everything turned out alright for you!
If your current smoker still works without any structural issues then I would keep with it and suggest switching to a mailbox mod and an AMNPS so you get TBS and no need to use wood chips and no overloading it.

Also in the Dallas area I have run across MES 40 units for sale on Craiglist for $40-50. To me those are simple rewire candidates to use with a PID controller... and the AMNPS again hahaha. You would be hard pressed to find a better performing electric smoker than a rewired MES40 with a PID controller! The cost is reasonable too when you pay $40-50 for an MES40 that someone is unloading and it does not matter if the electronics work or not since you will bypass all that anyhow :)

Now if I was going to buy brand new and didn't worry much about the money I would get the Smokin-IT 3D. It has a PID controller and looks rock solid! The only thing I personally would need to do with it is figure out how to attach a mailbox mod with the AMNPS to it :)

Just some food for thought.

Reactions: snot00011
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky