Blooming Onion - Kettle Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Just a quick post today. The weather was beautiful once again yesterday. Slight breeze and temps in the lower 80s. So, I decided to Q up a quick dish for my wife's and my supper.

Time to fire up the old beer pole:

DSC04011.JPG

First step is to slice up the onion.
DSC03991.JPG

Then it gets an initial coating of flour, seasoning, baking powder, and cornstarch. Then a dip in a wash solution of two eggs and some whole milk. Then back into the dry mix.

DSC03993.JPG

After the second dredging.
DSC03997.JPG

Then onto the 22" Kettle with the Vortex. I had my bottom vents about halfway closed to lower the temps some.
DSC04016.JPG

Added a couple of chicken breasts that were marinated in pickle juice and dredged the same way the onion was. They were also basted with a garlic-teriyaki sauce.
DSC04019.JPG

The onion is finished and ready to be eaten:
DSC04020.JPG

and so is the chicken:
DSC04025.JPG

As always thanks for taking a look. I also made a copycat recipe of Outbacks onion dipping sauce. It was pretty good, but I'll have to adjust some of the seasoning amounts.

Chris

Here's an older thread giving a few more details on how to make the onion.

I've never thought of cooking that style of onion on the grill. I do make the ones with beef bullion and bacon jam and for those I pre-slice, then wrap in plastic and microwave to preheat and soften the onion.... I wonder if that would also work before dusting and dipping the blooming onion?

Reactions: gmc2003
Awesome looking Q, would eat that chicken any day. The onion sounds spectacular, will go on the list for this weekend

Everytime I see your beer pole I see a beer that reminds me of my high school years. I grew up in NW PA about 20 miles from NY, so getting beer at 18 was very easy. We mostly drank Genesee Cream Ale, and PBR. I need a beer pole, but it can't look like a beer pole. Argh.

Your killing it with that kettle!
If you get that dipping sauce right, please post it!
We did a blooming onion in the air fryer & it was good, but it sure looks a lot better in the kettle!
Al

Looks great Chris but the onion steals the show for me ! Gotta try it and love the chicken dredge also !

Keith

Just a quick post today. The weather was beautiful once again yesterday. Slight breeze and temps in the lower 80s. So, I decided to Q up a quick dish for my wife's and my supper.

Time to fire up the old beer pole:

View attachment 638888
First step is to slice up the onion.
View attachment 638889

Then it gets an initial coating of flour, seasoning, baking powder, and cornstarch. Then a dip in a wash solution of two eggs and some whole milk. Then back into the dry mix.

View attachment 638890

After the second dredging.
View attachment 638891

Then onto the 22" Kettle with the Vortex. I had my bottom vents about halfway closed to lower the temps some.
View attachment 638892

Added a couple of chicken breasts that were marinated in pickle juice and dredged the same way the onion was. They were also basted with a garlic-teriyaki sauce.
View attachment 638893
The onion is finished and ready to be eaten:
View attachment 638894
and so is the chicken:
View attachment 638895

As always thanks for taking a look. I also made a copycat recipe of Outbacks onion dipping sauce. It was pretty good, but I'll have to adjust some of the seasoning amounts.

Chris

Here's an older thread giving a few more details on how to make the onion.

You shared the older post with me on this, really cool idea I would dive into that! But a Genny pounder on the beer pole...really???...lol

You’re on a roll. That looks like a great method to make it a bit more healthy. How hard is it to cut an onion that way?
Thanks Sven, For the last few years I've tried coming up with ways to eliminate frying in oil. Some work, some don't, but this one does.

I've never thought of cooking that style of onion on the grill. I do make the ones with beef bullion and bacon jam and for those I pre-slice, then wrap in plastic and microwave to preheat and soften the onion.... I wonder if that would also work before dusting and dipping the blooming onion?
Appreciate it thirdeye, If I'm understanding you correctly. Your using the microwave to soften the onion. I think with the blooming onion you want the peddles to be on the firmer side when dipping and cooking to hold their shape. They soften up during the cooking process.

Chris

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Awesome looking Q, would eat that chicken any day. The onion sounds spectacular, will go on the list for this weekend

Everytime I see your beer pole I see a beer that reminds me of my high school years. I grew up in NW PA about 20 miles from NY, so getting beer at 18 was very easy. We mostly drank Genesee Cream Ale, and PBR. I need a beer pole, but it can't look like a beer pole. Argh.
Thanks Nefarious, When I was in collage NY was a short drive and we went there to buy beer. It was cheaper there then here in Vt. Genny was always my choice, because of price. It still is for the same reason. I'm a little on the frugal side.
A fantastic cook on a gorgeous day, gotta love it, nice job Chris! RAY

Appreciate it Ray. The heat spell finally broke and I had to take advantage of it.

Chris

Your killing it with that kettle!
If you get that dipping sauce right, please post it!
We did a blooming onion in the air fryer & it was good, but it sure looks a lot better in the kettle!
Al
Thanks Al, and I'll be sure to post it up. I'm starting to feel bad for my WSM. I can't remember the last time or protien I cooked on it.

Wow, I never would have thought to do something like that. Looks delicious.

The Genny, on the other hand... Its giving me some pretty dark high school flashbacks.
Appreciate it Nate. I've been drinking Genny, Narragansett and PBRs since I was 15. It's hard to brake old habits.

Chris

Great Idea! Looks wonderful.

- Jason
Thanks Jason, I like the blooming onion better then onion rings. Even though they're basically the same thing.

Looks great Chris but the onion steals the show for me ! Gotta try it and love the chicken dredge also !

Keith
Appreciate it Keith. Both hit the spot and didn't take to long to cook.

Chris

Reactions: 912smoker
wow does that look good!! love those blooming onions!
Thanks tbern, Whenever we go to Outback that's the first thing I order.
You shared the older post with me on this, really cool idea I would dive into that! But a Genny pounder on the beer pole...really???...lol
Appreciate it Cliff. Someone on here has to raise the standard around here. LOL

Chris

Looks great Chris
! question did you pretreat the pole?

Warren
Thanks Warren, Where I live pressure treated is a must for outdoor use.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky