Blooming Onion - Kettle style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
When I go to the Outback steakhouse I always wind up ordering the blooming onion. There's something about it that I like more then onion rings or fries. Also in my quest to eliminate frying in oil I just had to try and reproduce it on the kettle. So heres my attempt. Sorry about the lack of pics. I could have sworn I took more.

First lets start with a sweet onion:
DSC00784.JPG

Remove the top and peel the skin off. Then with your knife slice through the onion about a 1/2 an inch from the root. Repeat dividing the onion up in quarters
DSC00785.JPG

Then continue until you've sliced each quarter three times. Flipped over you should have something similar to this:
DSC00786.JPG

Pop the onion into the refrigerator while you make up the seasoning.

Seasoning includes: 2 cups of flour, 2 tbsp paprika, 1 tsb cayenne pepper, 1 tsp. kosher salt, 1tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp oregano, and a couple of twists for fresh ground black pepper.
DSC00788.JPG

Now for the wash: Two beaten eggs, a few shakes of Franks hot sauce and few splashes of milk.
DSC00789.JPG

Might as make the dipping sauce now as well:

Dipping Sauce: 1/2 cup of mayo, 1 tbsp of ketchup, 3 tbsp horseradish sauce, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 tsp of cayenne pepper, a couple of twists of ground black pepper, and a small pinch of oregano. Mix well.
DSC00790.JPG

Dredge the onion in the dry ingredients. Making sure all the peddles are fully coated.
DSC00791.JPG

Shake off any excess dry and put it into the wet mixture. Spooning the mixture over the top of the onion to insure full coverage. Then back into the dry for another shake down.
DSC00792.JPG

Here's where I'm missing some of the pictures. I used the kettle with the Vortex for a high heat indirect cook. I also placed the Vortex closer to the edge of the kettle for more grate space. Place the onion on a small sheet of aluminum foil on the opposite side of the Vortex rotate about half way through the cook. I can't remember how long it took. To many PBRs I guess. That would explain the missing pictures also. The blooming onion is done when the peddles can be pulled off easily and it's that nice deepfried color.

I didn't get a shot of the full onion - cooked, but here is my wifes plate. You'll have to use your imagination to fill in the rest of the onion. Sorry about that. It was good and I'll be making it again for an upcoming party.

DSC00793.JPG

The mixes and sauce are all Chris tweeked versions of Outbacks. That I found on the internet
Chris,

Attachments

• DSC00787.JPG
    DSC00787.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 26
Looks great chris!

And there’s nothing wrong with to many PBR’s! Just remember I’ve never over done it, but I’ve been over served a lot!

Scott

Great job and congratulations on making the carousel

I thought I had a recipe for doing this in the oven but it is nowhere to be found. Now I have one for the Kettle and that's even better !! Thanks and like for sure.
Never been to Outback but always wanted to try the onion.

Awesome Chris, thanks for the post & recipe! We love the bloomin onion, so going to try this soon!

Dang PBR!

What a great idea. Look good from what there is left on the plate. I have done a couple of these in a air fryer and they turn out pretty good. On a grill might be quite a treat.

Thanks Jeff for the kind words and point appreciate them. Every once in a while those PBR's get the best of me and I forget to do something. From what I've read and heard about air fryers these would work out great.

Looks great chris!

And there’s nothing wrong with to many PBR’s! Just remember I’ve never over done it, but I’ve been over served a lot!

Scott

Thanks Scott for the like and compliment. The only problem here was I was doing the serving. I hope I didn't promise the wife something.

Great job and congratulations on making the carousel

Thanks flatbroke, Although you might have thought your were reading a different post. This ones not on the carousel.

Chris

Reactions: flatbroke
That is a great idea.
We are trying to eat a little healthier lately & cooking it on the kettle, or I'm thinking on cooking it in the Air Fryer.
That may be the way to go.
Anyway it sure looks good & congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al

Thanks Jeff for the kind words and point appreciate them. Every once in a while those PBR's get the best of me and I forget to do something. From what I've read and heard about air fryers these would work out great.

Thanks Scott for the like and compliment. The only problem here was I was doing the serving. I hope I didn't promise the wife something.

Thanks flatbroke, Although you might have thought your were reading a different post. This ones not on the carousel.

Chris
no. Correct post. I’m was using the force and saw it coming

Yes looks fantastic have to hide this from wife the blooming onion is one of her favorites.

Warren

Thanks Warren for the like and compliment. I think your wife would really like the idea of a blooming onion made w/o oil.

I thought I had a recipe for doing this in the oven but it is nowhere to be found. Now I have one for the Kettle and that's even better !! Thanks and like for sure.
Never been to Outback but always wanted to try the onion.

There are a few different ways on how to make them on the internet. I choose the one that most resembled the Outback makes theirs and tried it on the grill. Came out good. Thanks for the kind words and like. Outback is a good restaurant not great but good. They do make a great blooming onion though.

Looking really good to me from my vantage point.
It must've been good, half of it disappeared :rolleyes:
Thanks for the recipe and pictorial.
Like!

It did disappear rather quickly. I wish I remembered to take a pic of it when it was whole. Thing of beauty for a copy cat recipe. Thanks for the like and compliment John appreciate them

Chris

Looks Great Chris!!
Sounds even better, but the sound includes the whole thing!!
I tried making one of them in my HotAir Fryer when I first got it, and it didn't come out too good. It was probably My Fault!!!
Like.

Bear

Interesting, I tried making these once but they didn’t turn out, no bloom, all I got was a deep fried onion.
I might have to try again using your instructions instead of just winging it.

Cal

Awesome Chris, thanks for the post & recipe! We love the bloomin onion, so going to try this soon!

Thanks WHB, When you try it let us know how it turns out and if you make any improvements. Also thanks for the like.

I think it looks good!
That’s putting that Vortex to some good use!!

Thanks Smoke, the Vortex is definitely getting a good workout this summer. I'm always on the lookout for new ideas on how to use it.

Chris, your onion looks delicious!

Appreciate that crazymoon and the like. I just wish I'd gotten a full bloom picture.

Chris

Chris I agree looks Fantastic
Richie

Thanks Richie, Appreciate the like and compliment.

That is a great idea.
We are trying to eat a little healthier lately & cooking it on the kettle, or I'm thinking on cooking it in the Air Fryer.
That may be the way to go.
Anyway it sure looks good & congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al

Thank you very much Al for the like, carousel ride(unexpected) and nice words. I almost didn't post this because of the lack of pictures. I don't have an Air Fryer so I can't say for sure if it will work, but I don't see why not. I know the kettle will do the trick.

Thanks for that! It looks delicious!

Mike

Thanks Mike for the kind words. It was delicious and not at all greasy.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky