Blamestorming: John Made Me Cook Souvlakia (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I'll start this by saying that the content of the forum recently has been nothing short of amazing. So much incredible food being showcased here it's beyond comprehension. Another observation is that I'm seeing a LOT of people getting inspired by what they see here and are creating it themselves. I'm guilty of this on both sides of the fence.

So...when I trek into uncharted territory I always have an escape plan in place prior to starting. Basically that means having a scapegoat...somebody to blame it on if it's a fail. That's where the "blamestorming" aspect of this comes into play. I've heard it's popular in corporate America so I've adopted in in my personal life. In this case my scapegoat is our good friend John ( BandCollector BandCollector ) who posted his thread on this meal, which is currently on a much deserved carousel ride. I bet that all of us see a thread and it just pops for you and the first thought is "I gotta make that". That's exactly what happened here. I took two thick sliced center cut pork loin chops and cut them into pieces. Made the marinade exactly as john posted it, put it in a Ziploc bag with the pork and let it marinate overnight.

Start the next day by making the tzatziki sauce. This is a hybrid recipe based on mine and John's...and it is excellent!!
001.jpg

Get out the zigzag skewers I found via another great friend named John ( Bearcarver Bearcarver ) and put the pork on them. These things are so cool!!
002.jpg

Y'all know what time it is!! Time to light a fire. Decided to so these on the hybrid Santa Maria grill I built not long ago
003.jpg

Skewers on the grill. Grate is up on the 3rd rung to cook slowly
004.jpg

After about 10 minutes it's time to flip. Taking pics in the afternoon sun so a lot of glare. Sorry about that...
005.jpg

After a few minutes move them over and put the Pita bread on
006.jpg

Skewers & Pita bread done done and in the house. Time to put them together. This is just a dirty lens on the camera phone :emoji_disappointed:
007.jpg

Pork, tomatoes, onions, feta cheese, and tzatziki sauce
008.jpg

Out to the patio for dinner.
009.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, I kid you not when I say this meal was crazy good!! John shared a true home run with us and I'm thrilled that he did. I was still taking pics when Tracy took her first bite and all I heard was a mumbled "oh my God" as she tried talking around a mouthful of deliciousness....which she NEVER does. Both of us agreed that this was the best use of pork in a meal either of us has ever had. If the original post caught your eye as something you might try, I'd recommend moving it from the "might" category to the "must" category. It was that good!! Thank you John for sharing this. It is a game changer.

Robert

Robert,

I am proud of you ( if my mom was still here she would be as well) and deeply honored that you had the faith in me to give this recipe a try.

Very nice presentation my friend. I hope we can share more of our cooks in the future.

I also am humbled by your kind words and Tracy, I am super happy that you enjoyed it as well.

Take care my friends,

John

Last edited:
Looks awesome!

I made Souvlaki for the first time a couple years ago and the family loved it so much it has become a summer time staple. For some reason I cannot make the tzatziki sauce turn out anywhere as near as good as the local Greek place, so I just gave up and now I buy a container of it from them every time.

Reactions: zwiller
Beautiful cook as usual Robert! and many thanks to BandCollector BandCollector for the original post.

I have the original bookmarked and was going to wait till friends come over but now I don't think I can wait, It is going to happen sometime this week. I just need to come up with a low carb pita recipe.

Reactions: BandCollector
Looks so good Robert! I’ve not had pork souvlaki and that will likely change. I do love Greek flavors and have had chicken souvlaki often.

Awesome Robert! Very nice thread and you done BandCollector BandCollector proud! I too would like to make this and can only hope mine comes out somewhere close to your efforts! But you set the bar high my friend, well done!

Boy howdy, you are just killing it on some truly great cooks Robert, some fine work there for sure! RAY

Yes Please! Man, those look great. And them skeepers look wild. Might need Some of them around here.

Oh man! You did that justice!!!! Beautiful cook executed perfectly! Man I have to make this! I keep planning on going clean eating for a bit, but these keep coming up tempting me! Awesome as always Robert! Love that Santa Maria too!

Another over the top meal my friend! I could hit those big time! And I forgot all about those fancy looking skewers.

Nailed it Robert, that plate looks great, and I bet it tasted even better.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks great Robert! This is on the shortlist to make. Your pork souvlakia over an open fire doesn’t get any better.

Looks Great, Robert!!!
I'm glad you're getting good use out of your Zig-Zag Skewers!
I have trouble keeping things on mine---Probably not gentle enough with them!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Looks great! Not yet grilling weather here but totally running some soon. Need to try pork. Been playing with ground beef a little (kofta).

I made Souvlaki for the first time a couple years ago and the family loved it so much it has become a summer time staple. For some reason I cannot make the tzatziki sauce turn out anywhere as near as good as the local Greek place, so I just gave up and now I buy a container of it from them every time.
Same here. We change it up and do variations of it and wife is NUTS for it with hummus. I am the same way with tzatziki and tried lots of stuff like mint, english cukes, leaving skin on, even bought cucumber extract. I just grab some now and GFS is our fave.

Might be sacrilegious but all mine get some Frank's hot sauce.

Reactions: clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky