1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured Blade roasts and beef ribs

Discussion in 'Beef' started by PitBossMikey, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Got 3 nice blade tip roasts out of the freezer and some beef short ribs. Got them going on the UDS for the afternoon with a few chunks of mesquite. I kept the seasoning simple just some kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, garlic powder, fresh dried basil from our herb garden. I'm thinking of either making poor Man's burnt ends, or just shredding it and making BBQ beef for sandwiches. The kids love the short ribs so I'll just let them pick at them. They've been going a couple hours so far and the smell is just amazing!

Attached Files:

2. meatallica

meatallica Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I love beef ribs, but.. I'd destroy some burnt ends!! I'll pull up a chair and watch

PitBossMikey likes this.
  3. It turned out awesome! I cubed up the roasts for burnt ends into a big foil pan and added a little beef broth, Worcestershire, BBQ sauce, and about half a pound of brown sugar then back on the drum they went for another hour at around 300°. The beef ribs got wrapped up at 165° internal along with a slathering of BBQ sauce, brown sugar, and Worcestershire and back on the Drum til 205° internal. About 8 hours of work altogether... completely gone in 20 minutes.

Attached Files:

nanuk, Bearcarver, disco and 7 others like this.
  4. texomakid

texomakid Smoking Fanatic

It looks like a good smoke! Very nice.

PitBossMikey likes this.
  5. meatallica

meatallica Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Wow! Nice cook

PitBossMikey likes this.
  6. Thanks guys, this is the first time I've actually been very successful at doing beef ribs. I got on these forums and started studying post about beef ribs and I learned that I wasn't cooking them long enough to get up to that 205° internal temp, to break down all of that cartilage and fat.

7. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice, looks so good.
    Congrats on the Carousel ride.
    Like!

PitBossMikey likes this.
  8. ab canuck

ab canuck Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Pretty darn yummy looking..... Like for me.
    Congrats on the carousel ride.

PitBossMikey likes this.
  9. That looks delicious! Never even thought about trying a blade roast.

10. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Master of the Pit

Great results all looks wonderful! Nice UDS too I like that. Did you build it yourself?

11. Yes, I built it a couple summers ago. I had a nice Cleveland Indians logo stenciled on the front too but our hard winters here loosen up some of the paint and it started peeling off. it needs a good touch up paint job anyway so I may stencil it on again

12. Rathog23

Rathog23 Smoke Blower

Looks delicious. Now I have some other cuts for the BBQ bucket list.

13. bdskelly

bdskelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Fantastic smoke! B

14. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great looking smoke. Everything looks wonderful.

Point for sure
    Chris

15. disco

disco Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'd be all over these! Big like!

16. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

This is the first I saw this, but it ALL look Great !
    Nice Job Mikey!!
    Like.

Bear

PitBossMikey likes this.
  17. nanuk

nanuk Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

MMMM.... BEEF.....

Delicious!

18. Thank you very much, Bear! It's always an adventure around here trying something new on the drum! We put a half a beef in the freezer back in December a have all kinds of neat stuff to try smoking now

19. nanuk

nanuk Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I like how you worded that.... So the wife thinks you are hard at it, tending these morsels just to get them PERFECT for them.... meanwhile, some nice cold brews, (OR BETTER YET, Warm Guinness!!!!) and a game on garage TV!