Blackened Filets & Mushrooms W/ Port Wine Reduction (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's a great looking meal Robert! Every part of it has me drooling! I'm a fan of the black rubs too. Really good stuff!

Those filets with the mushroom reduction look delicious and that salad looks good as all hell too Robert! I’ll definitely take a plate of that!

I’ve got some of that HC Black rub in the pantry that I use sparingly. I think the next time I do some filets on the 560, I’m gonna do a black rub on them.

Nice looking filets, cant ever go wrong w a good piece of steak

Thanks Kevin. I don't do filets very often but decided to give them a shot. Still prefer a good rib eye or NY strip, but these were good.

Amazing looking meal Robert! Extra shrooms for me please.

Thank you Jake. I did in fact have more mushrooms...a lot more. Just kept them tame so you could still see the steak in the pic.

Great looking filets! I bet that mushroom gravy was money

Gravy was outstanding!! Loved the flavor combo of the mushrooms and port wine.

Robert

fantastic looking meal there Robert!

Very much appreciate it Jim!! Not as pretty as I'd hoped but it came out pretty good.

Wow--what a picture!! Thank you. I'm gonna get me some of that rub! Well- can't find it but found other dirt rubs

The rubs are readily available. Lts of them that are using the activated charcoal. The Carnivore is one of the more popular ones.

Looks fantastic Robert! I love a good filet and love the Dirt on them.

Thanks so much Jeff...for everything. I'll certainly be using hat rub frequently.

Robert

Most excellent looking meal Robert, between you and Jake I think I'm gonna try that blackend rub. It will probably be a tough sell to the wife, but if she wants to eat grilled steak she may have to give an inch.

Point for sure
Chris

I had to come back and get another look at the gravy. Can you give few more details?

Pretty simple stuff. Butter and flour for the roux. Saute till flour starts to turn brown. Add beef broth, beef bouillon, black pepper, and a little garlic powder. Simmer till it starts to thicken and add the Port Wine then simmer till it reduces. The flavors will be more developed and concentrated the longer it simmers and reduces. My apologies Brian but I don't measure stuff when making gravy. I just kind of toss it together and adjust as I go. Kept spices to a minimum here due to not wanting a flavor conflict with the Port.

Robert

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Great looking everything there! Nice work Robert!

Thanks Dave. Apparently it wasn't up to standards though because you didn't short out another keyboard :emoji_laughing:

Looks good. What temp do you take your steaks to?

Thank you Derek. The larger ones came off at 126 and the smaller ones at 128. Problem is that you never know what kind of heat the coals are generating so it's tough to gauge how much temp carryover you're gonna get.

Beautiful looking meal Robert, nice piece of work! Ray

Very much appreciate it Ray!! It's not lobster and shrimp ravioli but it worked in a pinch to fill the void :emoji_wink:

Robert

Awesome meal Robert only one thing wrong with it that I see and that is I wasn't there.

Apologies warren. It was kind of an off the cuff dinner that came together at the last minute. Didn't have time to get the invites out. Doing a really nice one this Saturday though. Load up the wife and come on down!! There...invite extended :emoji_wink:

And who said we would ever get too old to eat dirt!

Wasn't me that said that...and gravy still rules!!

Around and Around we go dang a carousel ride that is great.

I was quite surprised to see this. Was not expecting it in the least but not gonna complain. Thank you for the kind words Warren.

Robert

Everything looks great Robert. Those Filets look delicious and nice Bark too. Great job.

Thanks so much Mike. I was hioping to get that nice bark. I'v really gotten to where I love a good sear on a steak.

Mushrooms over beef. Gets me every time. Awesome post!

Yes sir!! We are in the same category there. I love the 'shrooms but Tracy isn't really on board with them. Fortunately she does not begrudge me enjoying them. Although she shied away from the mushrooms she did go through 3 servings of the gravy :emoji_wink:

Robert, that meal is a home run man... Very, very nice!

Very much appreciate it Justin. Got a cook done a couple days ago using the Huckleberry sauce. Oh boy!!

Robert

I've never tried a blackening seasoning on beef before (lots of fish) but I may just have to try.

Thank you sir. I was skeptical about the rub but alas no more. It's really good stuff!!

Looks great!...But...What Port did you use? If Port Sauces become a regular thing for you, I would be Sad.

Fret not my friend. It's a bottle of Dow Ruby Port I've had for about 15 years. I wouldn't do that to you buddy :emoji_wink:

That's a great looking meal Robert! Every part of it has me drooling!

Appreciate it Travis. I'm doing a 4 pound T-Bone this weekend to make a sandwich with :emoji_laughing: I'll keep you posted....

Robert

• Wow
Reactions: Sowsage
Those filets with the mushroom reduction look delicious and that salad looks good as all hell too Robert! I’ll definitely take a plate of that!

Thank you Joe!! You know we love salads around here and although basic, those were really good and went well with the dinner. Loved those Greek marinated olives. they were the star of the salad by far.

Wow Robert. That looks great! Congrats on the ride!

Thank you Steve. I did not see the ride coming for a second. I'm happy though.

Looks Awesome from here, Robert!!

Very much appreciate it Bear. Came out pretty well and we enjoyed it.

Robert

Most excellent looking meal Robert, between you and Jake I think I'm gonna try that blackend rub. It will probably be a tough sell to the wife

Thank you Chris. Tracy was dubious also but I just had 2 things to say: 1) Do you think I'd chance destroying the filets? 2) If you're that unsure, please feel free to make dinner.

I won :emoji_wink: The rub is highly recommended so give it a shot. you won't be disappointed.

Robert

Pretty simple stuff. Butter and flour for the roux. Saute till flour starts to turn brown. Add beef broth, beef bouillon, black pepper, and a little garlic powder. Simmer till it starts to thicken and add the Port Wine then simmer till it reduces. The flavors will be more developed and concentrated the longer it simmers and reduces. My apologies Brian but I don't measure stuff when making gravy. I just kind of toss it together and adjust as I go. Kept spices to a minimum here due to not wanting a flavor conflict with the Port.

Robert
Thats perfect. I don't measure except when needed.

I have never tried port. I get most my wine from Trader Joe's and look like have a couple. Porto Morgado 10 yo and Graham's port also 10 yo.

You don't have to use Port Brian. Any red wine will work. I just like the slight sweetness of the Port. It melds really well with the mushrooms.

Been thinking through something for you to try. I've never made this but I bet it'd be fantastic!! Gonna share my thoughts and hopefully you'll find it interesting enough to give it a shot. Start with the same butter and flour for the roux but do not saute to darken, start building the base immediately when the flour and butter are incorporated. Add either vegetable broth or chicken broth, a nice splash of heavy cream, herbs and spices to taste, then white wine, and mushrooms if you want. I can only imagine this would be amazing on pork, poultry, and probably even seafood. Now...if you wanna take it one step farther and do something totally original, add some cheese to the base and let it melt. Then put in some seafood: scallops, shrimp, or lobster, or all of the above let simmer, and serve over pasta. Unique, creative, and you'd be the only person on the planet eating it :emoji_wink: I'd bet this would make a top shelf, elegant, and incredibly flavorful meal.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky