Blackened Filets & Mushrooms W/ Port Wine Reduction (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I've never really been a big fan of commercial rubs and sauces. Recently though I've seen a whole lot of well-known folks here using them and raving about how good they are. Last year I received a few different things from SMF folks in Christmas exchanges and this year I got loaded up with bottles and bottles of stuff. Decided to retire all of my homemade spices and rubs to give some of these commercially made ones a try. I've used several thus far and all have been very good. I'm duly impressed with what's available out there but sheesh, there are so many it's a crap shoot trying to decide on which to get. Having them gifted though takes the guess work out of it. So here we go....

The Port Wine reduction. Made a beef based gravy and added the Port, then simmered on low till it reduced by about 1/3 and got pretty thick
001.jpg

The filets
005.jpg

Made a couple of nice salads. Tomatoes, Greek marinated olives I received from our good and master chef Jeff ( jcam222 jcam222 ), fresh spinach, feta cheese, and toasted Parmesan crumbles
004.jpg

This is the rub I used, also received from Jeff.
006.jpg

Filets on the Weber directly over the coals
008.jpg

Add the mushrooms to the Port Wine reduction
002.jpg

Steaks done. Got the perfect char I was looking for.
009.jpg

Time to eat!!
013.jpg

This was a pretty tasty meal. The rub was fantastic!! I was afraid it may have been too strong but that was an unfounded assessment. It was perfect. Matter of fact I will put a heavier coat on next time. It was kind of intimidating looking so I was timid with it. Steaks went a degree or two over where I'd like them but still nice and pink, tender, and juicy. The Port Wine reduction was money!! The flavors of that along with the beautiful sear on the steaks Heavenly. As much as we love a good salad with dinner, that too was the perfect accompaniment and the dressing was homemade...the recipe was also from Jeff I believe that he posted for a Heart of Palm salad. That has become a go-to dressing for us and we use it a lot. All in all I'll say this was a pretty good dinner with a little room for improvement. These are the first filets I've cooked in about 15 years but have a few more in the freezer that hopefully I'll do a bit better with next time. Well, I'm gonna call this one done. Take care, stay safe, and thanks for dropping in.

Robert

Amazing looking meal Robert! Extra shrooms for me please. I love all those dirt/black rubs. We call it gunpowder in my house. Nice work bud

Looks fantastic Robert! I love a good filet and love the Dirt on them. Salads looks awesome too. I need to go back and revisit that hearts of palm salad. It’s been awhile but I remember it and the dressing as pretty nice.

Looks good Robert! Of course gotta love that gravy! And who said we would ever get too old to eat dirt!

Ryan

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Everything looks great Robert. Those Filets look delicious and nice Bark too. Great job.

Very nice Robert! I like the looks of that tomato salad. Over all I would eat that all day long! I've never tried a blackening seasoning on beef before (lots of fish) but I may just have to try. I have been using a lot of commercial seasonings recently as it makes things simple.

Looks great!...But...What Port did you use? If Port Sauces become a regular thing for you, I would be Sad.:emoji_astonished::emoji_blush:...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky