Blackberry BBQ sauce thoughts please?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tallbald

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
Southern KY
Wife and I have a very prolific blackberry vine (tame thornless) in our yard. Have a couple gallons frozen berries. Never realized there's a BBQ sauce use for the berries. Thoughts on which meats are best with blackberry BBQ sauce? Hate to fight to remove seeds, which several recipes I've read tell one to do. As long as you don't mind picking berry seeds from your teeth is there a problem with the seeds remaining in the BBQ sauce? Likely no worse that large grind black pepper parts I'd think.
Thanks. Don.

Reactions: SonnyE
Pork, pork, pork. Especially pulled pork with the bbq sauce on the side. How about straining the blackberry juice onto your favorite bbq sauce and simmering it for about 10mins?

I had a jar of it once and it was the best BBQ suace I've had. I thought the blackberry went perfect with it

I've had a blackberry BBQ sauce on spare ribs at the annual Reno Rib Cookoff. My wife and kids agreed with me they were the best ribs we ate that day. There were no seeds, so I suspect they pressed the blackberries and only used the juice. You could probably line a sausage stuffer with a cheesecloth bag and press away!

I bought some blackberry preserves after inda's post and plan to use it on my next PP. I have one that I use for ribs and is made with peach preserve, Great sauce. Yours should be great...

Thanks everyone. I still wonder though. If blackberry seeds are OK in a blackberry cobbler (I'm in the South), why fight to remove seeds for a BBQ sauce? Mama's blackberry preserves had the seeds too. Not being smart aleck here. Rather just wondering. Do the seeds get hard and problematic when used in a sauce with smoking maybe? We have two gallons of frozen blackberries from last season in our freezer right now I can use. Don.

When I had the restaurant I would mix 1 part Fischer/Wieser Blackberry Chipotle Sauce with 3 parts house bbq sauce. it was awesome on chix wings. Fresh blackberries (strained for me personally) would be even better. I'll have to try making some when my blackberries come in.

Just ferment all of them and then you can have blackberry wine to add to your sauce if you feel like it or have a glass or 2 or 3 while running the smoker!:D

Seeds don't add much to anything so why add to anything? They are quite easy to get rid of by simmering with a little water until broken down (or a slow cooker), then running thru a juicer or fine mesh sieve. if too runny at this point put back on a low burner and reduce to the consistency you like. Add sugar if you like. Then refreeze in usable sized containers.

Barry.

Not a fan of the seeds either. I 2nd the motion for blackberry wine! Blackberry is somewhat of a delicate flavor and might get lost in a sauce with alot going on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky