• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Black spots on rings of freshly cut hickory wood?

Erin Lewis

Joined Jul 28, 2018
Hi - we just chopped down 2 hickory trees (the previous homeowners planted them RIGHT next to our house... less than 10 ft away) so we have a ton of wood!

They were very healthy, nut-producing trees (believe they were shagbark). We noticed as we were chopping the sections into logs that they had these odd black spots in the rings. These were found the same day the tree was cut down.

What are these spots, and is it safe to still smoke with the wood? I’m attaching pictures.

Attachments

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Don't know what they are but I would use it no doupt

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
If I were to guess I would think the chainsaw bar was a tad hot and that is warmed up sap. I have never seen a hickory tree and that was only a guess.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
Knock a couple a few times with a maul and see if it inside the none cut area. I am curious

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
If I were to guess I would think the chainsaw bar was a tad hot and that is warmed up sap. I have never seen a hickory tree and that was only a guess.

I cut alot off wood and never had that happen from a hot bar.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
I cut alot off wood and never had that happen from a hot bar.
I cut a fair amount too and never seen it either. Just guessing. I’ve never seen a hickory tree that I know of either. If he splits it open we will know more though.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
I have no answer. But I would still use it. We have alot of hickory here too

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
it's from variances in the winters affecting the growth rings - no problem at all, just nature! Seen it many times.

dave schiller

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 7, 2017
A friend who is a forester says bird pecking and/or boring insects infected the tree with a fungus.

motolife313

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 27, 2016
That’s from the steel chain and bar oil contaminating the wood. I’ve had it happen to me. Goes almost all the way through. It did it on oak. A guy that runs a saw mill said it’s called a stainie. It was super dark black for me and bigger spots. Got some in the wood shed I can get a pic of

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks