Black spots during cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stackhsc

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2015
Hi. I’m trying this recipie https://ourdailybrine.com/how-to-make-rolled-pancetta-recipe/

I’m about 8 days in and I noticed two black spots about the size of a quarter. Not fuzzy but still black. I cut them off by “shaving under and around the spot with a sharp knife and it doesn’t look like it’s into the meat. I’m kind of leaning towards tossing it and starting over but figured I’d ask first.

Sometimes it can be the dry rub or herbs that have balled up and made a dark spot. Does it have an off smell like spoiled?

Did you use cure 1 or 2. Cure 1 you will need to cook the meat when its done. cure 2 you can eat sliced thin with cheese or what ever and you can still use in cooked dishes.

wouldn't toss it yet, do you have any pics.
I don’t think it was spice. I didn’t take pics. I’ll take some of the meat I cut off. It didn’t really seem to smell but I’m a bit stuffed up. Under near the fat looked nice and white.

I used cure 1 so I’ll have to cook this stuff. I’m trying to get cure 2 but having a hard time finding it locally at a reasonable price. Shipped 60-70 or more a lb online.

wouldn't toss it yet, do you have any pics.
Slightly darker in that circled area but this whole part was slightly darker than the meat around it. I smelled it and it smells more spice and herbs than anything

Attachments

• A6D002E6-52E2-4E6B-8F27-ACC2285C9F55.jpeg
    A6D002E6-52E2-4E6B-8F27-ACC2285C9F55.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 48
I used cure 1 so I’ll have to cook this stuff. I’m trying to get cure 2 but having a hard time finding it locally at a reasonable price. Shipped 60-70 or more a lb online.
Not sure where you live, but TSM sells #2 for under 4 bucks a pound. You must be half way around the world.

Not sure where you live, but TSM sells #2 for under 4 bucks a pound. You must be half way around the world.

What’s tsm. A lot of places won’t ship to Canada or it’s 30-50 shipping. Or that’s what I’ve found so far.

Slightly darker in that circled area but this whole part was slightly darker than the meat around it. I smelled it and it smells more spice and herbs than anything
if it doesn't smell sour or feel funny( sticky) to the touch personally i would give it a go buts thats me.

Reactions: stackhsc
if it doesn't smell sour or feel funny( sticky) to the touch personally i would give it a go buts thats me.
Thanks. I’ll let it continue until Saturday that’s the 2weeks. I’ll give it a good going over and if it looks and smells ok I’ll go with it. If not I’ll toss it the.

Reactions: smokerjim
Apparently they don’t ship to Canada. They have folks who redistribute and the shipping for any of the ones I’ve contacted is 25-30 dollars on top of the cost that’s marked up. So it’s a bit better but still steep. May end up going with one of them anyway. Gotta get it one way or another lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky