Black Pepper Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

potsieko

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
St. Amant, LA
Started with a 10 lb belly from Costco, rinsed and cut in half. Soaked in Pop's brine for 2 weeks - patted dry and placed in the fridge for a couple days. Coated with black pepper, smoked over hickory wood with a kiss of cherry and red oak for 8 hours, starting at 125* and working up to 165* to an IT of 130*. Pulled out the smoke shack and cooled outside for a few hours. Bloomed in the fridge for a couple days and hand sliced. Fried up the edges, but forgot to snap a pic....guess I was too consumed in the goodness I was eating!

IMG_0568.JPG
IMG_0570.jpg
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg
IMG_0576.jpg
IMG_0577.JPG

Thanks everyone! This is only my second belly to transform into bacon, but the results are amazing if you follow directions. After gifting a few packs, it looks as though I should pick up another belly and start the process all over, again! ( I'm not complaining, BTW )

I also smoked some tasso IMG_0557.jpg ,

venison sausage IMG_0542.jpg

and venison snack sticks IMG_0541.JPG

- but didn't take enough pics to compose a thread. I've got a few buddies wanting more snack sticks, so I'll be making more soon - and I'll remember to take ample pictures.

Last edited:
Now that looks really good to me. Nice Job.

Point for sure.
Chris

Fantastic looking bacon & you certainly have some serious knife skills!
Great job on the slicing & congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Reactions: potsieko
That looks great. I got 12 lbs of belly curing right now. It is going in the smoker Sunday as we are having a break in the weather. Hope mine turns out as well as yours.. :emoji_sunglasses:

Great looking bacon man! I did two bellies right before Christmas and the black pepper slabs were the best by far.

Wish I had the patience to cut bacon by hand that good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky