big temp differences with probes in cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elninohese

Original poster
Jul 6, 2018
i had a strange experience last time i did ribs...lump coal on on side of kettle..dual probe...had my rack of ribs on..one probe grate level hit 270 which i like...the other probe near top of ribs so guess 2 inches higher elevated..temp was saying 340? got the same readings switching probes...could not believe such a higher reading for only few inches.....so basically thinking if i want next time to cook at my ideal temp of 270...have to wait till bottom probe says 250 top says 300? thus 275?

Elninohese you don’t say in your post what you are doing with vents. It sounds to me like you have your top vent closed down some or closed all together. Hot air rises and it normal for temps to be higher as you move up but a difference of 70 degrees in 2 inches sounds extreme. If your not running your top vent wide open, try that and see if it helps.

Weedeater

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky