Big Snow in Tulsa, OK Area

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Ok.. so the blizzard finally ended and we ventured out to get some pictures.. by "we" I mean my wife
biggrin.gif

The cows were pretty cold but they huddled right up next to the barn and got through it ok..

6b27ce7e_frozen-brisket-and-prime-rib.jpg

As you can see, the snow was in these large piles all over the yard. Anywhere from 12" to more than 4' in other areas.

18b444da_Blizzard-Tulsa-2011.jpg

hey Jeff, Now we are getting it here in north central Illinois , but we are more used to it!

I have butts in the smoker and have to shovel my path back to the house every time I go between the house and my shop!

we are suppose to get 20" over night

You can keep it!!! Too bad they are calling for the freezing rain then snows gonna start again!! Gotta love mother nature! we should be used to this as this is normal winter round here.

OK I will show my City slicker side, but why were the cows not in the barn???

Well.. the cows are not mine. I rent out my pasture for grazing but the barn is where I store most of the smokers that I don't regularly use. I also have lots of wood, mowers, power equipment and other things in the barn that I don't want poop all over so I keep it all gated up. The barn is not part of the rental agreement.

Great question though
biggrin.gif

Well.. the cows are not mine. I rent out my pasture for grazing but the barn is where I store most of the smokers that I don't regularly use. I also have lots of wood, mowers, power equipment and other things in the barn that I don't want poop all over so I keep it all gated up. The barn is not part of the rental agreement.

Great question though
biggrin.gif
They aren't your cows,
But--But--But What if one of those cows just happened to slip & fall into one or two of your smokers, would you allow him to freeze to death, or would you warm him up a little?

Bear

Getting it here today too.  Supposed to go until tomorrow morning.  Looks like a good night for BBQ pork pizza from the freezer stash. 

Stay safe out there everyone.

Great question though
biggrin.gif
They aren't your cows,
But--But--But What if one of those cows just happened to slip & fall into one or two of your smokers, would you allow him to freeze to death, or would you warm him up a little?

Bear
Well of course I'd have to give him a little fire to sleep by.. say somewhere around 225 degrees or so.. maybe a little smoke for good measure..
rolleyes.gif

Those poor cows!  I felt so sorry for them today.  I kept thinking that maybe the guy who rents the pasture might show up and take them off to HIS barn that he (presumably) has somewhere, but he didn't.  I guess they'll be okay.  Just FYI, there are actually 5 cows, and only 4 of them were outside.  The 5th is smaller and managed to squeeze into the little shed next to the barn.  LOL!!!!  I guess he can stay there....actually, I hope he can figure out how to get back OUT of the little shed.

I knew I should have made a smokehouse out of that shed!!

Strange, when I saw the cows all I thought of was brisket. Must be my OSD acting up  
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

We're in the middle of the blizzard now, heavy snow with 30 - 40 mph winds                   
icon13.gif

Those poor cows!  I felt so sorry for them today.  I kept thinking that maybe the guy who rents the pasture might show up and take them off to HIS barn that he (presumably) has somewhere, but he didn't.  I guess they'll be okay.  Just FYI, there are actually 5 cows, and only 4 of them were outside.  The 5th is smaller and managed to squeeze into the little shed next to the barn.  LOL!!!!  I guess he can stay there....actually, I hope he can figure out how to get back OUT of the little shed.

Hmmm Veal lol

Sorry guys, born and raised in northern Wisconsin, now live in the middle of the state.I am used to 24 to 36 inches overnight, but doesn't happen now that I am out of the Snowbelt, now all we get is that pesky 4 inches at a time that isn't worth taking the snow blower out but if I don't the wife complains.

Still snowin and blowin here in the KC area. I-70 closed from KC to St. Louis. Saw that I-44 was closed from Springfield Mo. to the OK border, must be closed at least to Tulsa? Sittin here at work. Only 5 out of @20 people made it in. Pretty slow round here. Cant wait till I have to go outside.
icon_cry.gif

Last edited:
First of all they are either heifers or steers; second cattle do better outside with a wind break than in a barn. Why feel sorry for them, when you going to eat them shortly?

Gotta give it to ya Bear! You're always thinking of what's best!
icon_wink.gif

Great question though
biggrin.gif
They aren't your cows,

Bear

They're heifers (not supposed to say cows?).  
icon_mrgreen.gif
   I'm happy to hear that they do better outside.  Now I won't feel so bad for them.  Eat them?  My kids have named them!  lol

One of the smaller *heifers* managed to squeeze into the little shed next to our barn.   I hope she can find her way out again, because I'm definitely not going in after her!  
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

First of all they are either heifers or steers; second cattle do better outside with a wind break than in a barn. Why feel sorry for them, when you going to eat them shortly?

Last edited:
They're heifers (not supposed to say cows?).  
icon_mrgreen.gif
   I'm happy to hear that they do better outside.  Now I won't feel so bad for them.  Eat them?  My kids have named them!  lol

One of the smaller *heifers* managed to squeeze into the little shed next to our barn.   I hope she can find her way out again, because I'm definitely not going in after her!  
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Well if she can't get out, maybe I'll just go ahead and build that smokehouse I was mentioning earlier. I'll have my first test subject built in
icon_rolleyes.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky