Big Chief Element to Hot Plate Element - in progress - QUESTION

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Let me ask you, then...is the baffle supposed to be at a slight angle when in the closed position or is it supposed to be horizontal?
I have never used the flap or baffle. Being the exhaust pipe, it remains fully open (vertical). The reason I installed the pipe was because the propane smoker did not have a vent on the top which I wanted. It's stock vent is on the back panel towards the top. Also, since I run my temp probe wires down thru the vent, I could not close the flap all the way, even if I wanted to.

The big chief does have the exhaust slits along the top which I find pretty workable as is.

Last edited:
The big chief does have the exhaust slits along the top which I find pretty workable as is.

Yeah, but it doesn't look all cool and tricked-out! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (just kidding!)

Seriously, though, I initially wanted a stack for my propane (same config as yours...vent/slits in the top rear), so I'm going to paint this one black and install it on that one.

HOWEVER, I have an extra daisy wheel from back when I did the ECB mod, sooooo...:emoji_wink:

...Doesn't dropping the voltage in half also reduce the wattage by half?
I'm thinking it would increase the lifespan by running an element at half power.
No, the resistance stays the same so half voltage is also half current. Power is voltage time current so since they're each now halved, the power is one-quarter.

Yes, even just a 100 degree cooler temperature extends element life pretty considerably so 50 or 25% power makes these last about forever. But thermostatically cycling them on and off is especially hard on element life. But the cost of a hot plate is less than a kitchen stove so it's not like you need 20 year MTBF.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I know...I'm replying to my own post.

It came in today. I thought it might be thin/flimsy since it was so cheap, but this little sucker is heavy and definitely NOT flimsy!

That's what I thought when I looked at the add for it. Can you tell me the pipe inside diameter? Their customer service doesn't know.

That's a good find.

Reactions: SherryT
One of the spade connectors kept coming off while all this was going on, so I had to pull it back out and replace it TWICE (if I had to do this again, I'd spend a sinful amount of money for a better set of wiring pliers!)

Sherry, great job on all of this but one question. Did you mean the wire kept coming out of the spade connector or the spade connector kept coming off the element? If it's the former that could be potentially very dangerous if those spades aren't well crimped on the wire, you may end up with 120VAC hanging loose or worse touching the housing which should blow the breaker but still could give a nasty shock.

Just wanting you to stay safe.

Cheers

Sherry, great job on all of this but one question. Did you mean the wire kept coming out of the spade connector or the spade connector kept coming off the element? If it's the former that could be potentially very dangerous if those spades aren't well crimped on the wire, you may end up with 120VAC hanging loose or worse touching the housing which should blow the breaker but still could give a nasty shock.

Just wanting you to stay safe.

Cheers
It was the wire coming out of the spade connector...I didn't have it crimped tightly enough. On the second replacement, I got it locked down (it was snug and didn't budge when I put tension on it).

Thanks for looking out for me! :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: kilohertz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky