Better Smoke in MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Khrakk

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
E. Texas
Some time ago, Wolfman was asking how to get more smoke from his MES in this thread: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/adding-cold-smoker-to-mes-due-to-lack-of-smoke.291747/

I had been struggling with same delima, so I jumped on his thread, and this new thread is a follow up.

I actually purchased the Amaze-N smoking tube as it was highly recommended by everyone and the Masterbuilt Slow Smoker kit (because I was familiar with it). I had been out of town, so it took a little time to test the tube, slow smoker has never come out of the box. Since returning almost 2 weeks ago, I have used the Amaze-N tube 4 times, pork tenderloin twice and ribs twice.

I placed the tube on the rack just above the heating element housing and removed the wood feeder from its opening to increase airflow. I found you can partially insert the feeder to restrict flow. It was a little difficult to light the tube since I didn't get a butane torch yet, but once it lights, it is really solid. I have been using pellets exclusively in my tube. The amount of smoke this tube generates is perfect (wife said one of tenderloins had to much smoke though). The thing I really like about the tube is the fact that you dont have to mess with it once you get it going. Just set temperature in the smoker, get tube going, walk away. From what I can tell, this tube (12") smokes for a solid 5 - 6 hours without any feeding, checking, or manipulation on my part. My prior experience with the MES Cold Smoker Attachment, you had to check at least hourly and help the pellets feed in it.

Needless to say, I am a big time fan of the Amaze-N tube, and it will be my smoke generator of choice for the future. Thanks to those who recommended it. By the way, my slow smoker attachment will stay in box for a while.

My wife has asked for ribs this weekend, and I'll probably do jerky soon with the tube.

Thanks everyone. :)

One of the best mods you can do to the tube is fit it with ubolts,short in the back and larger in the front so it sits on an incline.This will allow for two things,a slower burn rate and better airflow.You can place it in the bottom left of the smoker.

And if you use ground/crushed pellets you will increase smoke time and get even thinner smoke.

Check out the link in my signature for a more detailed description of the ubolt mod.

Last edited:
If you do a lot of longer smoker like butts and briskets check out the AMNPS tray. Can get 11-12 hours of smoke out of it without having to refill!

I get that with the 12" modded tube filled with ground pellets.Ditched the tray once I started doing this.

The tray with dust will lighten the smoke somewhat if that's what your looking for. About 8hrs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky