Adding cold smoker to MES due to lack of smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wolfman13

Original poster
Oct 19, 2019
I've been extremely disappointed in the amount of smoke the 30 inch MES produces. I've tried the few adjustments I'd seen on You Tube. I finally contacted Masterbuilt and they said I had two options, every so often go out and increase the temp to 275, or add their cold smoker attachment to produce the smoke. Has anyone had any success with this? I'm not going to continually adjust the temps. I'm not really in to cold smoking yet, so not sure if this will be a decent fix, or if i should go out and get another smoker. Unfortunately due to space, I need a vertical smoker, and most are Masterbuilt, who I'll probably never buy again. I suppose for the cost, it might be worth it to try this and see? Anybody else deal with this?

Don't waste your money on the MB Cold Smoker attachment. Instead of adjusting temps every so often, you'll be wasting the same amount of time pushing down the wood chips in the attachment as they tend to stick after several uses. Look at the AMAZEN line of smoker tubes or plates instead. I use the tubes personally

Reactions: zwiller
MES30 cold smoker attachment...

Mailbox mod hooked up.jpg .. LEGS 4.jpg

004.JPG

finished products...

HAM 005.JPG .. ham2 004.JPG Bacon3 2 11-7.JPG
Loin 1 004.JPG

Reactions: wolfman13
I agree with what everyone else is saying. Thats the only way to go. I have the 5x7 tray and i cant even describe how happy ive been with it. Use it in all of my smokers. Ive even used it in my gas grill to add smoke from time to time. Very small investment for what you will get out of it!

I really liked the MES cold smoker attachment. I used the cold smoker attachment to generate my smoke and used the heating element in the MES30 to cook. Only problem is the cold smoker kept breaking, and they aren't for sale any more (unless masterbuilt has something new).

I am very dissatisfied with the amount of smoke the MES30 makes on it's own. Since my last cold smoker attachment broke, I found that leaving the loading tube partially out (for more air) and putting a brick (for more thermal absorption) helped with smoke generation. Still not where I want though, but better.

BTW, I used to use the cold smoker attachment for everything. The only thing I ever cold smoked was homemade sausage before i vacuum packed and froze it.

Wish i could find the MES cold smoker or sale again.

Best of luck.

What everyone else said. Ditch the chips and never look back. AMNPS is well worth the $30 investment and get 11-12 hours of continuous smoke. Here is a picture of mine in the bottom left of my MES40 rolling smoke
Beach13.jpg

Reactions: wolfman13
Looks awesome, didn't really know there was such a thing. I briefly looked at their user guide, they recommend no water pan, or just a small one, is this correct? And should I do anything with the original chip tray or loader to allow any better ventilation? Sorry if there's a thread out there already on this and thanks for the quick fix. Can't wait.

Well, I actually found the Masterbuilt cold smoker attachment for sale again, but it is called a slow smoker now. I think I'll get one on order.

What is it about the Amazing Smokers (Tray or Tube) That you don't like?
Price too good?
Don't like All Stainless Steel? (Mine's only 9 years old)

Just about every MES owner on this forum has at least one of them.

Bear

IMG_0859.JPG

Adding a mailbox to my MES40 was the best things,,,,,well one of the best things I've done to it. I typically run a A-Maze-N tube or tray inside.

Last edited:
What is it about the Amazing Smokers (Tray or Tube) That you don't like?
Price too good?
Don't like All Stainless Steel? (Mine's only 9 years old)

Just about every MES owner on this forum has at least one of them.

Bear
This reminds me that i really need to buy another one! Im on it tomorrow! Lol

I don’t use water in my pan anymore. The MES is so well insulated it’s really not needed to retain moisture. Plus with the added moisture with water in the pan it would not do your pellets any favor keeping them lit.

Pull your chip dumper about halfway out in the dump position to allow air flow. Will go for hours!

If the AMNPS smoke generator is inside a smoker, adding a water pan, to the smoker, will create steam which will suffocate the pellets and they will quit smoking... Steam displaces the oxygen in the smoker....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky