• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Best wings I have done

masssmoke

Smoke Blower
Joined May 8, 2016
No one is more critical about my smoking results than I . My kids joke that I never like what I smoke. But this time the wings were on point!

Smoked with dry rub and a bit of cornstarch to dry them. Then 2 hrs on the smoker and 15 mins on the hot grill to crisp the skin and set the sauce.

Attachments

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
I count 22 wing sections. What did the rest of your family eat???? Nice job...JJ

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 18, 2017
Great looking wings! Nice job! I'm with jj ....what did everyone else eat? Lol!

tanglefoot

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 27, 2012
Dang....those look mighty tasty!!! Don't need any dippin' sauce to go with those....except maybe a mug-o-suds!!!

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
I love wings. We had them Friday Yours looks great!

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
Wings are always a crowd pleaser. Those look really good!

Blues1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 10, 2020
Great job. I did wings too, but was a safer bet for me to do them on the gasser. Yours look perfect.

masssmoke

Smoke Blower
Joined May 8, 2016
Thanks to all. Yes we ran out quick, mostly these were appetisers. I have always struggled to get the skin right, but the cornstarch and then finish on the grill made a big difference.

tacouser

Joined Sep 2, 2020
No one is more critical about my smoking results than I . My kids joke that I never like what I smoke. But this time the wings were on point!

Smoked with dry rub and a bit of cornstarch to dry them. Then 2 hrs on the smoker and 15 mins on the hot grill to crisp the skin and set the sauce.
When do you put the wings in cornstarch? And why do you do that?

joetee

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 25, 2017
When do you put the wings in cornstarch? And why do you do that?
I tried the cornstarch before. The skin was nice but the taste of cornstarch I couldn't get rid of. So I tried baking powder. It was better. Could not taste it.
But still I'm preferring not to use either.
I think the trick is to make sure the wings have enough time to dry in the fridge and the right grill temp to get them crispy.
Just saying.
But your wings do look incredible.

masssmoke

Smoke Blower
Joined May 8, 2016
hi yes, I did a bit of cornstarch right before the rub. Just a bit, the purpose is to dry the wings out. I agree that if you have the time to let them air dry out before smoking that would work too. The whole idea is crispy skin which is hard to get w/o deep frying.

joetee

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 25, 2017
hi yes, I did a bit of cornstarch right before the rub. Just a bit, the purpose is to dry the wings out. I agree that if you have the time to let them air dry out before smoking that would work too. The whole idea is crispy skin which is hard to get w/o deep frying.
I couldn't get the cornstarch on thin enough. But I read someone said to add it to the rub before applying. I bet that would help a lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.