Best wings I have done

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masssmoke

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 8, 2016
Massachusetts
No one is more critical about my smoking results than I . My kids joke that I never like what I smoke. But this time the wings were on point!

Smoked with dry rub and a bit of cornstarch to dry them. Then 2 hrs on the smoker and 15 mins on the hot grill to crisp the skin and set the sauce.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 91
  • ATT00001.txt
    6 bytes · Views: 12
I count 22 wing sections. What did the rest of your family eat???? Nice job...JJ

Great looking wings! Nice job! I'm with jj ....what did everyone else eat? Lol!

Great job. I did wings too, but was a safer bet for me to do them on the gasser. Yours look perfect.

Thanks to all. Yes we ran out quick, mostly these were appetisers. I have always struggled to get the skin right, but the cornstarch and then finish on the grill made a big difference.

No one is more critical about my smoking results than I . My kids joke that I never like what I smoke. But this time the wings were on point!

Smoked with dry rub and a bit of cornstarch to dry them. Then 2 hrs on the smoker and 15 mins on the hot grill to crisp the skin and set the sauce.
When do you put the wings in cornstarch? And why do you do that?

When do you put the wings in cornstarch? And why do you do that?
I tried the cornstarch before. The skin was nice but the taste of cornstarch I couldn't get rid of. So I tried baking powder. It was better. Could not taste it.
But still I'm preferring not to use either.
I think the trick is to make sure the wings have enough time to dry in the fridge and the right grill temp to get them crispy.
Just saying.
But your wings do look incredible.

hi yes, I did a bit of cornstarch right before the rub. Just a bit, the purpose is to dry the wings out. I agree that if you have the time to let them air dry out before smoking that would work too. The whole idea is crispy skin which is hard to get w/o deep frying.

Reactions: joetee
hi yes, I did a bit of cornstarch right before the rub. Just a bit, the purpose is to dry the wings out. I agree that if you have the time to let them air dry out before smoking that would work too. The whole idea is crispy skin which is hard to get w/o deep frying.
I couldn't get the cornstarch on thin enough. But I read someone said to add it to the rub before applying. I bet that would help a lot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky