Best slaw for PP sandwiches???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
chisoxjim;406382 said:
and the dressing is simple: mine is mayo, cider vinegar, some sugar, black pepper, and celery salt.
quote]

This is very similar to what I do and it is indeed very tasty. I also toss some celery seed in to cut back on the salt a tad and then add my secret ingred...

Horseradish (Creamy & HOT)

I'm by no means a slaw expert but try a little in some next time and you will get that, "I'm not sure whats in there and cant think of it but it sure adds a complex flavor profile".

I bet horseradish adds some nice flavor, Ill try that on my nexy batch. thanks

Made up a batch of Scarbelly's reciepe....
....but of course could not leave well enough alone and tweaked it a bit
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I added a shake or two of cayenne per Mark (Mballi) and NewB's secret ingredient - Horseradish. I used about 1/2 tsp for a 1/2 batch of the reciepe above.

I think this is the best coleslaw I have ever made - I've been looking for a good reciepe for a while - Food Network, Cook's Illustrated, etc.

Have never found one better than this. MY SLAW QUEST IS FINALLY OVER.....er...well.....until I find something I like better! LOL

Thanks for the ideas, folks.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Hey John - Looks like some nice tweaks. I am unfortunately allergic to the horesradish even though I like the taste.

Whenever I'm in a pinch, and don't feel like throwing anything together, I'll run to our local Hy-Vee supermarket and grab a jar of Jimmy's Original Creamy slaw sauce. Mmm Mmm good...

If you use fresh cabbage, heavily salt the shredded cabbage, toss, and let rest in a strainer for 2-3 hours.

Then rince it all off. This should pull some of the water outta the cabbage, and ensure the slaw itself doesn't get watery / sloggy.

Just make sure to rince well ;)

shredded 1/2 head of cabbage cabbage,
one cup of shredded carrot
1/2 cup mayo
small can of crushed pinapple
1 tbs balsomic vinager
1 - 3 tbls of horsradish depends on taste
pinch of salt

I go simple.....If I'm in a rush I grab a bag of mixed cabbage, but fresh is better. I use some of my (Sloflaque's) finishing sauce, add a bit of raw sugar, some chili powder, S&P mix and let sit in the fridge for an hour or two. I'm not a fan of mayo/creamy slaws.

I like the usual cole slaw when I can keep it cold- here is one without the mayo that is great to take to summer gathering as you dont have to worry about spoilage in the heat:

Ingredients
  • 1 medium head cabbage, cored and shredded
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, onion, and 1 cup sugar. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, salt, celery seed, 1 teaspoon white sugar, mustard and oil. Bring to a boil, and cook for 3 minutes. Cool completely, then pour over cabbage mixture, and toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.

Here is the way I have been doing my pulled pork with really good results.

The only difference is I take my butt to around 160f (internal) then double foil it adding a little of my mop in the foil then take the internal temp up to around 200 -205. I then take the pork, still foiled, and wrap it in towels and into a cooler for 1-2 hours. Oh yea, this recipe is one that needs to be done together. What I mean is one part of the recipe compliments the other parts of the recipe.
Here's the recipe I use:

South Carolina Pulled Pork and Slaw

Source: BBQ USA by Steven Raichlen (Workman, 2003)
Method: Indirect grilling or smoking
Serves 12 to 14

For the rub and Boston butt:
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Boston butt (bone-in pork shoulder roast), 5 to 7 pounds

For the mop sauce:
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup Dijon-style mustard
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Memphis Mustard Slaw
Makes 5 to 6 cups
For the slaw:
1 small or 1/2 large head green cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds)
1/2 red bell pepper
For the dressing:
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
Salt
Remove the core from the cabbage and discard it. Cut the cabbage into 8 chunks. Finely chop the cabbage in a food processor using the metal blade and pulsing the motor (this is a chopped, not sliced or slivered, slaw); work in several batches if needed.
Cut the bell pepper into fine dice.
Make the dressing: Place the mustard, mayonnaise, and sugar in a large nonreactive mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the vinegar, celery seed, and black pepper. Add the cabbage and bell pepper and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as necessary. Refrigerate until serving time. The slaw can be made up to 1 day ahead.
For serving:
10 to 12 hamburger buns
3 tablespoons butter (optional), melted)
Thinly sliced sweet or dill pickles
Memphis Mustard Slaw (recipe below)

You’ll also need:
4 to 6 cups hardwood chips (preferably hickory), soaked in water to
cover for 1 hour, then drained

Combine the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl and stir to mix. Sprinkle the rub all over the pork, patting it onto the meat with your fingertips. Let the pork cure at room temperature while you make the mop sauce.

Make the mop sauce. Combine the vinegar, mustard, water, salt and pepper in a large nonreactive mixing bowl, add 1/2 cup of water, and whisk until the salt dissolves.

Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-low (about 250 degrees F). If using a gas grill, place all the wood chips or chunks in a smoker box or smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium-low. If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in the center, preheat the grill to medium-low, then toss 1 cup of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.

When ready to cook, place the pork, skin side up, if there is one, in the center of the hot grate over the drip pan and away from the heat. Cover the grill. Cook the pork until darkly browned on the outside and very tender inside, 4 to 6 hours. To test for doneness, use an instant-read meat thermometer: The internal temperature of the pork should be about 195 degrees F. If the pork starts to brown too much (and it probably will), cover it loosely with aluminum foil, but remember that the browned bits are good, too. Every hour for the first 4 hours, swab the pork with some of the mop sauce, using a barbecue mop or basting brush. If using a charcoal grill, every hour you’ll need to add 12 fresh coals and 1/2 cup of wood chips or chunks to each side.

Transfer the pork to a cutting board, cover it loosely with aluminum foil, and let it rest for 20 minutes. You could pull or chop the pork, but I like to slice it across the grain (the practice of many South Carolina Pit masters). Place the pork slices in an aluminum foil pan. If you are not quite ready to serve, cover the pan with aluminum foil and place it on a warm—not hot—grill or in a low oven.

If desired, brush the hamburger buns with the melted butter and lightly toast them on the grill. Load each bun with pork. Top with pickle slices. ServSOUTH CAROLINA PULLED PORK SHOULDER e at once with South Carolina Mustard Barbecue Sauce.
Hope this helps.

--ray--
(0||||0)

Yep, this is the way to treat your cabbage. Pulls the bitter taste from it.

Then:

1/3 cup mayo
1 TBSP lime juice
2 Tsp honey
1/4 Tsp cumin
1/4 Tsp ground chipotle ( I use canned in adobo sauce and about 2 TBSP)
3 cups shredded green cabbage
3/4 cup whole kernel corn
3/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper
1/3 cup thin sliced red onion
1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro

In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, lime juice, honey, cumin, and chipotle chili pepper. In a large bowl combine cabbage, corn, sweet pepper, onion, and cilantro. Pour mayonnaise mixture over cabbage mixture. Toss lightly to coat. It is best to mix it up to 24 hours ahead to let the flavors mingle. No idea how long leftovers will keep. Never had any.

Also, recently.... I put craisins in my slaw with my PP.

It was good, plus you can say you had a fruit serving for the day. More PP sandwiches with craisin slaw = more fruit!

:D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky