Best slaw for PP sandwiches???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lspilot82

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Lakeland Florida
I have never tried slaw on pulled pork sandwiches and im gonna give it a shot, whats the best slaw for pulled pork, also the best way to enjoy it....finishing sauce, mustard sauce, thanks guys.

Just one man's opinion... but it is hard to beat KFC cole slaw with anything. By itself or on a sandwich, it is goo'od.

Anything BUT store brand coloe slaw is better. Just take some cabbage ( white and purplecabbage) and shed it as small as you can and then mix together in another bowl some mayo alittle mustard and then some fresh garlic and green onions with a little red wine vingar and then throw in some chili powder and some caynne pepper (optional) and then mix it all together and wait. On the next day you can have some pulled pork and slaw sammies. You can eat it after you make it bur if you wait it will be some of the best slaw that you have ever had.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

homemade, whatever recipe you chose is the way to go imho.

I feel since I'm gonna take the time to smoke a butt myself , Im not going to go buy my slaw @ a store or restaurant. ymmv

I shred the cabbage @ home, tastes much fresher than the bagged pre shred

and the dressing is simple: mine is mayo, cider vinegar, some sugar, black pepper, and celery salt.

start to finish this slaw is ready to go in the fridge in about 15 mintues at most.

I am not a big food network fan...but Emeril has a blue cheese slaw that I live by...if you like blue cheese.

Blue Cheese Slaw:
3 cups shredded white cabbage
3 cups shredded red cabbage
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup mayonnaise, recipe follows
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, divided
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine white and red cabbage and green onions in a medium bowl. In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk, garlic, 1/4 cup of the blue cheese, a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Process dressing until smooth. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and sprinkle with remaining blue cheese, tossing to coat. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and chill for 3 to 4 hours.
Yield: about 4 cups

I could eat my weight in the KFC slaw. That stuff is so addicting. I don't know what it is, but the restaurants seem to have figured it out (KFC, Captain D's, etc.)

Back to the original question: They make coleslaw dressing. Buy a bag of shredded cabbage and a jar of slaw dressing.

Here is one we love - not the normal sweet cole slaw also there is a link to my potato salad - it is way different that most potato salads

Ingredients
  • 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
  • 2 large carrots, finely shredded
  • 3/4 cup best-quality mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons grated Spanish onion
  • 2 tablespoons sugar or to taste
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon dry mustard
  • 2 teaspoons celery salt
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, sugar, vinegar, mustard, celery salt, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, and then add to the cabbage mixture. Mix well to combine and taste for seasoning; add more salt, pepper, or sugar if desired.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=81204

I have never had it but wouldnt mind trying what they call carolina red slaw? I think it has katsup in it! someone here must have a recipe for it?

Slaw? More like Rabbit Barf!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Thats what we called it in the dinning halls of my youth anyways
icon_wink.gif

I like it on the side....of someone elses plate!

Juuuuuussssst kidding, I will eat almost anything.

Being that I dont have a food processor I tend to make it the coarse shred varity and dont have one favorite recipe other than a little higher with the vingar

I also sometimes make what I call "Red Salad" coarse shredded red cabbage, red onion, beets, pimentos (green olives w/pimentos), tomato red wine vingar, oil, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon

Folks at the salad bar think I an nuts

You got some good recipes for some wonderful slaw ^^^up there. The key is go easy on the mayonnaise, and get some onions with "bite" and grate them into the slaw rather than chopping and dicing. Purple or white ones are the strongest. Along with the slaw and the apple cider vinegar, they will make a great sammie even better.

A trick I learned a long time ago is to add a bit of "pickle juice" to the pile of slaw. I've always used a splash of Kosher Dill juice.

Here is a CopyCat Recipe for KFC...

KFC Coleslaw Copycat Coleslaw

[font=&quot]Ingredients[/font]
  • [font=&quot]8 cups cabbage, finely chopped [/font]
  • [font=&quot]1/4 cup carrot, shredded [/font]
  • [font=&quot]1/3 cup sugar [/font]
  • [font=&quot]1/2 teaspoon salt [/font]
  • [font=&quot]1/8 teaspoon pepper [/font]
  • [font=&quot]1/4 cup milk [/font]
  • [font=&quot]1/2 cup mayonnaise [/font]
  • [font=&quot]1/4 cup buttermilk [/font]
  • [font=&quot]1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar [/font]
  • [font=&quot]2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice [/font]
[font=&quot]Directions[/font]
  1. [font=&quot]Cut cabbage and carrots into small pieces about the size of rice kernels (the food processor is great for this!).[/font]
  2. [font=&quot]In a salad bowl, combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar and lemon juice. Beat until smooth. Add the cabbage and carrots. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate.[/font]

My favorite way to eat a pulled pork sammie is no BBQ sauce, a good splash of finishing sauce and a vinegar based coleslaw, no mayo.

The recipe I use

one bag of coleslaw mix
1/2 large red onion, diced
1 stalk celery, chopped (optional, I usually leave it out for pp sammies)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
black pepper to taste

Combine coleslaw mix, onion and celery in large bowl, pour sugar over mix and toss. Set aside.
Combine remaining ingredients in a small sauce pan, bring to a boil, stir and cool completely.
Once cooled pour over coleslaw mix, toss, cover and put in the fridge for at least 24 hours but the longer it sets the better.
When ready to serve drain excess moisture and you are good to go.

The best slaw is spicy slaw, that isn't drowned in sauce of any kind. I also think the best slaw dressing is Marzetti's slaw dressing (just google it).

I always add diced jalapenos to my slaw, and I prefer red cabbage.

Then I take and add a couple of teaspoons of Chipotle powder to the Marzetti Slaw dressing and stir / shake that up real good.

Don't drown the produce with that stuff, and you will be getting compliments like you wouldn't believe. Spicy slaw and dressing are the way to go.

I use something just a bit different. This is a cooked slaw, vinegar base and excellent on pulled pork sandwiches. I also use a finishing sauce on top.

Cole Slaw for Pulled Pork Sandwiches

½ large head Finely shredded green cabbage
3 T. Olive oil
4-5 T. White vinegar
2 T. minced Garlic
1 tsp coarse ground pepper
1 tsp Sea salt
2 T. Lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard

Mix all together and cook until cabbage is al dente. These are not exact measurements. Sometimes I use a little more oil, vinegar and lemon juice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky