Best rub for ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If I'm not using my own, then from the retail end it's usually a 2 rub combo:
Malcom Reed's : The BBR Rub followed with A1's Sweet Mesquite for a bit of heat.

I like Weber's honey garlic rub you can buy at wally world or Sam's club. it goes good on ribs without any heat but not over powering sweet.

I have been a fan or Butcher' BBQ rubs wild cherry or savory pecan seasoning.

I'm about to try Heath Riles apple rub to make Malcolm Reed's apple pie ribs.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

My new favorite is Pappy's Blue Label (low salt) seasoning that's local to my area (Central California). I can pick up a 28 oz restaurant size for less than $7. I can't make my own for that price. I just picked up my third container in a year or so.

I iike it too. I also like Rudy's Rub from T.exas on my ribs

there are so many different variations of rubs, so I either have to experiment making my own, or find one I like . So far I tried a few but none really hit the spot, just ordered some meat church rubs and see how they are, Will try making my own following some of the recipes listed here. Hopefully I can tweek a recipe to my liking. Let the journey begin. I do one little salt and pepper, onion and garlic powder not bad but I have to add and subtract to see if I can make it to my liking.

Just too many choices and I like variety ... besides several homemade variations, have used these ‘commercial’ ones:

Jeffs Original
Meatheads Memphis Dust
Red Hot & Blue
Flying Swine Sweet&Smoky and Sweet&Spicy (have the latter on a butt smoking as we speak)
Aw Shit! varieties (Good, Special, Bull)

Of these, I like Jeff’s and RH&B best.

Does anyone have thoughts on a sugar-free rub, not for dietary purposes but to avoid burning? Last batch of ribs I made I thought some of the bark was more burnt than bark, especially on the part of the ribs that were in the hotter part of the smoker. I have not had that problem before -- I'm guessing I had a temp. spike at some point -- but I wonder how much flavor you lose if any from skipping the sugar.

I (and my family) love the Meat Church Holy Cow. MC Holy Gospel has a little less heat,
Also enjoy the Kosmos Q Cow Cover and SPG. Kosmos also offers a line called Clean Eats that may be sugar free. Order direct from their websites for a much better price than amazon. A lot of the local Ace Hardware stores have started to carry then at the same prices.

Does anyone have thoughts on a sugar-free rub, not for dietary purposes but to avoid burning? Last batch of ribs I made I thought some of the bark was more burnt than bark, especially on the part of the ribs that were in the hotter part of the smoker. I have not had that problem before -- I'm guessing I had a temp. spike at some point -- but I wonder how much flavor you lose if any from skipping the sugar.

It may seem like an odd choice for a rib rub but try some Cavender's Greek Seasoning. I use it sometimes and I know a guy who uses nothing but it on pork with great results.

Reactions: Millberry
If you like dry rub ribs, Memphis dry “rubs” generally don’t have sugar. And I put rub in quotes as they are more of a seasoning sprinkled on after cooking, not rubbed into raw ribs (although I do both)

We have sugar in about every rub we use yet the ribs we smoke never result in burnt bark. This kind of sounds like a bandaid to a symptom vs resolving the problem. Issue to understand and hopefully address is maintaining grate temp that ribs are smoked at. FYI, we usually smoke ribs with a consistent grate temp of 245ºƒ. Sugar starts to become bitter and subsequently can burn once the temp gets to 325º-ish and higher.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky