Best rub for ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Make your own, it's much less expensive in the end.
Checkout my list of recipes, I've two basic rubs for Pork/Chicken.
Both are good as is, but are very easily adaptable to any taste.

The owner of this site, Jeff, has his own brand of rubs.
You can buy the recipe and DIY or buy it by the jar.

These are my basic homemade rubs, always bags of these in the spice cabinet.
From these basic recipes it is very easy to adjust them one way or another, no salt, more salt, sweet, savory, mild, hot or for particular flavor profiles.

Pork Rub
1C brown sugar
1/2C Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/3C each paprika, garlic and onion powders
1/8C each of cayenne and black peppers

Chicken Rub
1C Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/2C paprika
1/8C each tumeric, garlic, onion and coriander powder
1T each black pepper, crushed thyme, crushed rosemary, dried lemon peel and parsley flakes

Last edited:
I use something called Memphis Dust...found it on Amazingribs.com years ago. Family really likes it. I typically put the rub on overnight, and after cooking/smoking, eat w/sauce at the table. Info and recipe from the site below:

Yield: Makes about 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
Ingredients (Use measurements in parentheses for approx. 12 T rub, enough for 3 racks (4 T each)
  • (3T) 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    • (3T) 3/4 cup white sugar
    • (2T) 1/2 cup paprika
    • (1T) 1/4 cup kosher salt
    • (1T) 1/4 cup garlic powder
    • (2 1/3 t) 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    • (2 1/3 t) 2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
    • (2 1/3 t) 2 tablespoons onion powder
    • (2 1/3 t) 2 teaspoons rosemary powder
About the sugar and salt. I encourage readers to experiment with recipes, and "no rules in the bedroom or dining room" is my motto, but I have gotten some emails that require a comment. One said he loved this recipe but left out the salt. Another left out the white sugar. I appreciate the need to reduce sugar and salt in our diets, but they are in the recipe for more than flavor enhancement, they help form the crust (a.k.a. called "the bark" by the pros), an important part of the texture of the surface of ribs and slow smoke roasted pork. The salt pulls some moisture to the surface to form a "pellicle" and the sugar mixes with the moisture, caramelizes, and also contributes to the crust. There's only about 2 tablespoons of rub to a large slab. Of that about 1 tablespoon is sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. If you eat half a slab, you're not eating much sugar and salt. I recommend you leave them in. And for those of you who object to white sugar for non-dietary reasons, and use brown sugar instead, you need to know brown sugar is just white sugar withmolasses added. It is not unrefined sugar. I use brown sugar for the flavor and white sugar because it improves the bark. You can substitute table salt, but beware that if you do, you should use about 2/3 as much. Read my article on salt.
About the rosemary. One reader hates rosemary and leaves it out. Trust me, it hides in the background and you will never know it is there. Substitute thyme or oregano if you must, but rosemary is best. If you can find ground rosemary, good for you. It's hard to find. So just grind the rosemary leaves in a mortar and pestle or in a coffee grinder. It will take 2 to 3 tablespoons of leaves to make 2 teaspoons of powder.
About the paprika. If you read my discussion of paprika by clicking the link you'll learn about the different kinds of paprika. In short, garden variety grocery store paprika has little flavor and is used mostly for color. But fresh Hungarian or Spanish paprika have mild but distinctive flavors. If you can find them, they improve this recipe. If you wish, you can use smoked paprika, especially good if you are cooking indoors, or even mix in some stronger stuff like ancho (slightly spicy), chipotle powder, cayenne, or chili powder. Chipotle can be quite hot, so be thoughtful of who will be eating your food. I usually go easy on the heat in deference to the kids and wimps (like me) and add it to the sauce or put chipotle powder on the table for the chile heads.
About the ginger. I think it is a very important ingredient. If you don't have any, get some.
Do this
  1. Mix the ingredients thoroughly in a bowl. If the sugar is lumpy, crumble the lumps by hand or on the side of the bowl with a fork. If you store the rub in a tight jar, you can keep it for months. If it clumps just chop it up, or if you wish, spread it on a baking sheet and put it in a 250°F oven for 15 minutes to drive off moisture. No hotter or the sugar can burn.
    1. For most meats, sprinkle just enough on to color it. Not too thick, about 2 tablespoons per side of a large slab of St. Louis Cut ribs. For Memphis style ribs without a sauce, apply the rub thick enough to make a crunchy crust, about 3 tablespoons per side (remember to Skin 'n' Trim the back side). To prevent contaminating your rub with uncooked meat juices, spoon out the proper amount before you start and seal the bottle for future use. Keep your powder dry. To prevent cross-contamination, one hand sprinkles on the rub and the other hand does the rubbing. Don't put the hand that is rubbing into the powder.
    2. Massage the rub into the meat at least an hour before cooking. Better still, rub them up, wrap them in plastic wrap, and refrigerate them overnight before cooking.

Reactions: jbow
This is the only rub I use for ribs. A Memphis classic. No sauce!
IMG_0477.jpg

Reactions: jbow and TNJAKE
Another vote for Jeff's rubs you can buy them already made or do like many of us and buy the recipe and make your own

Reactions: nerdbq and boykjo
This is a challenging question my $.02 it all comes down to personal preference. Why because your taste of flavors may not be the same as mine. Same as you may not like the same wood to smoke with as I do. So you need to try different flavors until you find one you like.

Warren

This is what I've been using for pork and chicken for 3 or 4 years now. Frankly I don't remember if I got it somewhere or came up with it myself....

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup kosher salt
4 tbls course black pepper
4 tbls garlic powder
4 tbls onion powder
1tbls cayenne (I used to use 2 tbls but backed it off a couple of years ago)

Makes enough for 2 or 3 uses, kept in a tupperware container. It has a kick but not too much heat.
Never used a store bought rub, so no help there.

Make your own, it's much less expensive in the end. Checkout my list of recipes, I've two basic rubs for Pork/Chicken.
Both are good as is, but are very easily adaptable to any taste. The owner of this site, Jeff, has his own brand of rubs. You can buy the recipe and DIY or buy it by the jar.

I've been using Chile's pig and poultry rubs for about 8 month now, love 'em! RAY

I’ve tried just about everything, and lately I have been using just course ground balck pepper, and basting the ribs every 45 minutes with a combo of BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar. It’s a hard combo to beat.
Al

Reactions: chopsaw
If you’re looking for a commercial rub, try Meat Church rubs. I like Honey Hog on pork. Can find in on Amazon

Make your own and play around with the profiles. I have a pretty standard pork rub always on hand, but often when doing multiple slabs of ribs I'll do a couple different rubs on them - some people like a little more kick, others a little sweeter, and some more smoke flavor with just S&P. It's nice to have a little variety, have fun with it.

Reactions: Danabw
I’ve been making my own but wanted to know what commercial rubs others on here like. I’ve tried a few brands but haven't found one i really enjoy yet. Thanks for replies. I will try your recipes or some variations some day. Please continue to share your favorites!

If you're lazy like me..................
Jeff's rub
Meatchurch Honey Hog & Honey Hog Hot
Killer Hogs & Killer Hogs Hot
And today's choice ...... Stanley's Famous East Texas Style Rib Rub
97C42107-039C-4C5F-9AA3-AF46F48FDDEE_1_201_a.jpeg

So many rubs ....... Not enough Sundays!

In the end, it's really hard to beat SPOG - that's the base for almost every rub.

My new favorite is Pappy's Blue Label (low salt) seasoning that's local to my area (Central California). I can pick up a 28 oz restaurant size for less than $7. I can't make my own for that price. I just picked up my third container in a year or so.

My new favorite is Pappy's Blue Label (low salt) seasoning that's local to my area (Central California). I can pick up a 28 oz restaurant size for less than $7. I can't make my own for that price. I just picked up my third container in a year or so.
That’s a great deal. Which store?

All the suggestions are great just have to find one you like. But a thing to remember is that what's available in my area may not be in your area. Mail order changes the price of the items as well.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky