Best BBQ in Georgia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jtr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Maine
I am flying into Atlanta, Georgia in October and driving out to Athens, GA to watch University of Georgia play Vanderbilt.  I wanted to see if people had any places they suggest for some good southern BBQ.  Looking for a good place to stop along the way to enjoy some southern smoke!  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

icon_cool.gif

Squirrel's house is about the best place in Georgia that I can think of. If you go remember the Q-view and save me some too.

She's in Augusta -- quite a bit out of your way.

Athens is a great little town, btw.  I lived there for about a year, but I wasn't really into BBQ at the time so I don't know what to tell you except to ask around when you get there.  Be sure to stop by The Globe Bar, though.

Go Dawgs!

Last edited:
Woo Hoo! Go Dawgs! I'm going to that game also! Love my Dawgs. The only BBQ place in Athens that I ate at was called Fresh Air BBQ, not sure where it is exactly you would have to google it. It was pretty good. Not as good as mine (LOL!) but I would eat there again.

Thanks myth! You are too sweet!
icon_redface.gif

I will have to check these places out and any other place I check out along the way.  I will update in October! Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming.

I spent some time in Athens a few months ago and wasn't too impressed with anything I tried.  I'm more of the OK/TX style though. 

There is a great place in NW Atlanta, Thompson Bros BBQ.  http://www.thompsonbbq.com/   Happens that they're from OK.  Only about 15 miles out of your way coming from or going to the airport.

There's a place in Winder, between Atl and Athens that used to be really good.  One of the first places I ever had Brunswick Stew and one of the best I've had.  Someone told me they changed owners but still had the same recipes but I haven't been there in a while.  Still getting good reviews.

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/15239203295/smokin-po-boys-bbq-winder

I worked all over GA for years and that's probably the only one I tried that I really liked in that part of the state.

Did you go to Vanderbilt?  I'm in Nashville right now. (Been here all but about 10 days of the last 6 weeks).  I've been meaning to go to Jacks but haven't had many other recommendations.  There's a Neelys in Nashville now but the reviews weren't great.

Heck more than likely there's gonna be lots of smoke rolling before the game with all them tailgate party's
biggrin.gif
 Them Ga people are pretty nice I'm sure they'd share

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky