Begining stages of Buck board bacon!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
Finally taking the leap. Printed out Bears step by step and started thawing the butt last night. Hopefully it will be thawed by this weekend so I can get curing. My one concern is keeping my off-set cool enough. Think I'll try charcoal/apple branches/oak for fuel. wish me luck!

Good luck and keep us updated.

Chris

Do you have an AMNPS, AMNTS?
Don't even fire that muther up, just cold smoke your bacon when it's cured and has formed a pelican.
Where I screwed up mine was I rinsed it, but forgot to soak it in ice water for an hour between brining and forming the pellical.
Mine got 4 hours of cold smoking and it was enough for me, mine, and ours.
My Buckboard Bacon will be great cooking bacon, going to make some fantasmagorical Wicked Beans!

(oh dang, I salivating thinking about it.)

I see you are in Minnesota.
I hate to break the news, but your butt will probably be froze till June.... :confused::eek:o_O

Dont let a little snow scare you lol. I just cold smoked my BB bacon last week and it ranged from -2C to -10C outside temp. Most of the smoking was done in daylight. I pulled the bacon off when the smoke chamber hit 34F about 9 at night.

Finally taking the leap. Printed out Bears step by step and started thawing the butt last night. Hopefully it will be thawed by this weekend so I can get curing. My one concern is keeping my off-set cool enough. Think I'll try charcoal/apple branches/oak for fuel. wish me luck!

You should be able to keep it below 140° for a couple hours, don't you think?
I never used an offset, so I have no idea.
If you can't, it's not a big problem smoking BBB @ 180°, or even 200°, since you'll probably be taking the IT to 145° anyway, like I did in my Step by Step.

Bear

You should be able to keep it below 140° for a couple hours, don't you think?
I never used an offset, so I have no idea.
If you can't, it's not a big problem smoking BBB @ 180°, or even 200°, since you'll probably be taking the IT to 145° anyway, like I did in my Step by Step.

Bear
Started the Curing Saturday evening, Should smoke it the weekend after next after deer season. Still going back and forth on offset vs cabinet smoker. Probably end up as a game day decision. Thanks for the step by step!

Started the Curing Saturday evening, Should smoke it the weekend after next after deer season. Still going back and forth on offset vs cabinet smoker. Probably end up as a game day decision. Thanks for the step by step!

I would go the easiest route, but I used to come home from Deer hunting pretty much wore out.
LOL---Now I'm wore out without even going Deer hunting.

Bear

Reactions: kawboy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky