Beer can chicken with QVIEW....and questions...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cobble

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Boston, MA
First time attempting beer can chicken in the smoker. This being my rookie year in the  smoking scene, I've been somewhat reluctant to do chicken because of salmonella, but I figured what the hell. So I threw a brine together and let the birds soak for about 4 1/2 hours in the fridge. Then I took them out, mixed room temp butter with a TBS of Jeff's rub, and put that under the skin of each chicken. Then I covered the outside with EVO and a joat of rub.

The smoker had been preheating for an hour at 275, so I threw them on. I left them there for about 2 hours and then put the thermometers in the breast near the thigh. I let them go about another hour and 15 and they were up to 175, so I went and took the probe out, figuring I'd foil them and let it coast a few degrees. But since it's chicken and I'm paranoid, I put the probe back in. This is when things got strange. The probe read 155. No idea why. I let it go up to 165 and then took them out, let them rest, and carved them up. I did a touch test and the breast was firm, as all good ones ought to be. Just to be on the safe side, I ate only the white meat, and left the dark, because sometimes funky discolored meat lurks with the dark. Anyway, the wings and legs pulled off with no real effort, so I'm pretty sure it was done, but I've never had that thermometer issue before. 3.5 hours at 275 should've been more than enough. Any idea as to what's going on? QVIEW below

1e5f7886_Brining.jpg

0beea2fd_Readytogo.jpg

5e3dff07_Done.jpg

You could have gotten close to the bone when you were probing the first time. That could have given you a false reading because the bone is HOT. Always stay away from the bone when taking the temp of any meat. When you insert the probe and the juices run clear and you wiggle the thigh and gives easily you can pretty much rest assured you are done. Chicken is safe at 165 but you sound like a chicken paranoid kinda guy haha. As long as you stay clean and don't reuse utensils or containers that have ouched raw chicken then salmonella shouldn't be an issue. Anyway the birds look good. GO SOX!

You could have gotten close to the bone when you were probing the first time. That could have given you a false reading because the bone is HOT. Always stay away from the bone when taking the temp of any meat. When you insert the probe and the juices run clear and you wiggle the thigh and gives easily you can pretty much rest assured you are done. Chicken is safe at 165 but you sound like a chicken paranoid kinda guy haha. As long as you stay clean and don't reuse utensils or containers that have ouched raw chicken then salmonella shouldn't be an issue. Anyway the birds look good. GO SOX!
DAMN RIGHT, GO SOX!!!

Ok so anyway, yeah, I'm pretty paranoid about chicken. My wife won't eat anything on the bone ( I know, don't get me started) so I rarely cook any kind of chicken aside from breasts. I'm comfortable cooking them, but whole chickens, I'd been unfamiliar with up until now.

Yeah I know a lot of people that are like that about chicken. Like I said as long as you are clean about it and use your common sense you'll be fine. Whole chickens are cheaper and more fun to cook and I don't know a scientific reason why but to me they taste a hell of a lot better. Yes I'm a Red Sox fan in NC. The first big league game I ever went to was at Fenway while visiting family in Boston and I've followed them ever since!

DAMN RIGHT, GO SOX!!!

Ok so anyway, yeah, I'm pretty paranoid about chicken. My wife won't eat anything on the bone ( I know, don't get me started) so I rarely cook any kind of chicken aside from breasts. I'm comfortable cooking them, but whole chickens, I'd been unfamiliar with up until now.

I know it is not common practice with many people, but I always put the temp probe  in the meat before I put it in the smoker. This way I make sure it is in the thickest part of the meat and not near a bone and I can be sure when it is done.

I know it is not common practice with many people, but I always put the temp probe  in the meat before I put it in the smoker. This way I make sure it is in the thickest part of the meat and not near a bone and I can be sure when it is done.
I have been known to do the same thing but i always scrub the probe with hot water and dish soap first. I don't see a problem with that. 
icon14.gif

The media has made people WAY TOO PARANOID about Chicken! IF there is any Salmonella it will be on the outside of the meat and in the cavity. 1) A good wash will reduce any contamination. 2) A salty brine will reduce it even more. 3) In the event that steps 1&2 didn't get the little buggers, cooking above 150*F will absolutely kill them.   YES, 150!!! that's still bloody! In any event, You are cooking to 165*F in the "thickest" part of the breast and 175*F for "pull away from the bone" tenderness in the thigh there is virtually NOTHING that can survive all of that. IF these rules are followed and the chicken was kept cold AND you did not insert the therm' probe until after wash and brining you will have NO problems.  Inserting the therm probe in the breast near the thigh,puts you in the Thinnest, Boniest part of the Chicken, you will get a incorrect temp reading.

Ok now the reason to cook on the bone... All muscle is connected to the bones and Skin connected to the muscle with a protein called Collagen. In the presence of moisture and lower heat, less than 325*F, for an extended period of time...hours not minutes...Collagen will break down into Gelatin. Gelatin is the stuff in Grandma's Pot Roast or Stews that gives that, "RICH, Luxurious, Lip smacking full flavor mouth feel that rolls your eyes back in your head and makes you melt with pleasure! You just CAN NOT, WILL NOT ever get there with Boneless Skinnless Chicken Breast!!!!...YUK!!!...JJ

It's always a good idea to check whatever your cooking with a temp probe in several different places. I use Taylor therm in the meat & when it says it's done I check the meat in several places with a Thermapen. Sometimes the readings will vary 10 degrees or more. Just because one place is done doesn't mean the whole piece is done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky