Beer Can Chicken in 30" Electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wudman

Original poster
May 30, 2013
Spokane, Washington
As it is going to be 117 degrees today in Las Vegas, I don't want to prepare my beer can chicken inside.  My organic bird weighs 5 pounds.  Anyone with suggestions would be a great help.  I think from previous posts I need to get to 160 degrees, but how long would that take...?

I have an MES 30"er, and do chicken regularly (including beer can variety). I typically cook at 275 degrees till I get to an internal temp of about 160 degrees. Then I throw it on the grill to crisp up the skin. If you don't the skin looks great, but is really rubbery. 325 degrees if you do I strait on the grill and the skin is awesome, bird is juicy, but smoke typically sucks for me. I like the smoke, so I almost always start in the smoker and finish on the grill. Cooking times vary depending on bird size so I won't give you an amount of time, but I live and die by my thermo temps, so shoot for the temp and the bird will rock! Don't forget to let it rest at least 15-20 min.

Thank you, Matt and Mule.  For the final step, to crisp the skin, can I just slip it in the oven at 375?  It's so freakin' hot out there I don't want to hang around a hot grill, too>

110.gif
 , I'm waiting for the Q-view...
Rules.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky