Beer Can Chicken in 30" Electric Smoker

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by wudman, Jun 29, 2013.

1. As it is going to be 117 degrees today in Las Vegas, I don't want to prepare my beer can chicken inside.  My organic bird weighs 5 pounds.  Anyone with suggestions would be a great help.  I think from previous posts I need to get to 160 degrees, but how long would that take...?

2. depends on cooking Temp. You can cook a yard bird up at 350 deg. it will give you good crispy skin. You can go lower to get more smoke flavor.

Happy smoke.

David

3. matt22556

matt22556 Fire Starter

I have an MES 30"er, and do chicken regularly (including beer can variety). I typically cook at 275 degrees till I get to an internal temp of about 160 degrees. Then I throw it on the grill to crisp up the skin. If you don't the skin looks great, but is really rubbery. 325 degrees if you do I strait on the grill and the skin is awesome, bird is juicy, but smoke typically sucks for me. I like the smoke, so I almost always start in the smoker and finish on the grill. Cooking times vary depending on bird size so I won't give you an amount of time, but I live and die by my thermo temps, so shoot for the temp and the bird will rock! Don't forget to let it rest at least 15-20 min.

4. Thank you, Matt and Mule.  For the final step, to crisp the skin, can I just slip it in the oven at 375?  It's so freakin' hot out there I don't want to hang around a hot grill, too>

5. matt22556

matt22556 Fire Starter

Never used the oven to crisp the skin, so I couldn't tell you.

6. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

[​IMG]  , I'm waiting for the Q-view...[​IMG]