Beef... Whole- Half- Quarter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just read back up this thread more carefully and did up a cut sheet. Great idea. Don't know that the butcher will follow it, but we'll try. Anybody else finding butchers several months out in other parts of the country after the brief meat scare?

Reactions: Will Squared
I was asking our Butcher about halves and quarters and he said now is not the best time of year for N. Cal. I asked him about origin (we have a lot of cattle around here) and he said he shops for the best price and quality and it could come from OR one week and NY the next. ALL US Beef !
No Brazil beef for us.

Id buy it halved and hang it in my garage and have at it. would take a couple hours with a handsaw, table and my knives. Its good to be a butcher these days.

Id buy it halved and hang it in my garage and have at it. would take a couple hours with a handsaw, table and my knives. Its good to be a butcher these days.
That is something to think about...
I got this video in my feeds today.
I like these Bearded Butchers.

I just read back up this thread more carefully and did up a cut sheet. Great idea. Don't know that the butcher will follow it, but we'll try. Anybody else finding butchers several months out in other parts of the country after the brief meat scare?
Here in Arkansas there's a waiting list also. We just got notified yesterday that our 1/2 beef had went to the processing plant. That's actually what prompted me to visit the forum today.

Our hanging weight is 356 lbs. @ $3.00 a pound for a total cost (no tax) of $1068. The $3.00 covers everything. Meat is vacuum packed and cut to our specs, and we should end up with somewhere around 230 lbs. Final cost around $4.65 per pound, and about 70 to 80 lbs. will probably be ground beef. In addition 'll probably ask for some of the organ meats that we'll use for our dogs.

If it's permitted and anyone is interested I can post a link to their FB page where a lot of customers post photos of their purchases, and you can see just how much meat 1/2 or whole actually looks like.

Follow up for any and all: go buy you and yours a side of beef! Ours hung at 320 pounds, and we got 204 pounds of meat. It worked out to $4.15/lb. I made a few mistakes on the cut sheet, but I'm keeping notes for next time. We got our beef from a dairy farmer friend just getting into beefers. Five cows went in all.....damnedest thing, most of my friends wanted their brisket halves ground. Gladly traded some of our burger to keep that from happening! Gotta say, the quality of what we've cooked so far beats the hell out of any beef I've ever bought at the store.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky