Beef ribs w/ pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worm304

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
So in my quest to finally get my hands on plate ribs this is the best I could do. Some day, some day!
IMG_20180324_205052.jpg
These were a pretty meat whole slab of shorts. $4.69 lb. Seasoned with my beef rib and fridged over night.
IMG_20180325_095517.jpg

Started at 10 am. 265 with oak and hickory for 4 1/2 hours.
IMG_20180325_143600.jpg

They were 180ish when I pulled them off. Foiled with a little beef broth and kicked it up to 275. Cooked for another hour and a half unitl they were 200. Rested for another 1.5 hours in the meat cooler.
IMG_20180325_171321.jpg

Pretty solid although there was a ton of fat in these. Next time I will probably go 235 for much longer to get more to render.
IMG_20180325_172227.jpg

Here are some good slices. Thanks for looking!!!

Looks great to me. Beef ribs is fatty. Real fatty. But that’s what makes em so yummy.

I get plate ribs often and typically I go at around 225* for quite a while then wrap or pan and cover til they get close but not quite fall off the bone. While IT can be measured easily, I use the same probe/toothpick test as one would with brisket.

Gotta render that fat so I never get in a hurry with em keep the smoker temp down. Now having said all of that, one man’s rendered rib is another man’s fatty rib. What I consider rendered may be to fatty for other people. You gotta love beef fat and damn I do.

Your's look great - nice job. Beef ribs of any kind are pretty scarce around here. We usually only find them post holidays.
Are you smoking inside a screened in porch? My wife was PO'd at me when I smoked in the garage one time. I'd be skinned and on the smoker if I did it in the porch.

Point for sure.

Chr

Reactions: 73saint
Your's look great - nice job. Beef ribs of any kind are pretty scarce around here. We usually only find them post holidays.
Are you smoking inside a screened in porch? My wife was PO'd at me when I smoked in the garage one time. I'd be skinned and on the smoker if I did it in the porch.

Point for sure.

Chr
LOL Your wife would HATE me! I have one of my smokers in my screen room as well as my
R & V Works FF2-R - 2-Basket Outdoor Cajun Fryer! The room is only 20 by 20, but it is nice to be under cover when I want to!

Thanks, all!! Carousel, woo!! Yeah, I use my patio that's screened in. It gets dirty real fast being in florida with the pollen, rain getting inside, and when they mow back there twice a week it makes for a messy situation. Since we didn't utilize it very often, because it is a pain to keep clean for any length of time, I took it over and it is now my smoking deck.

Awww Man, those look good to me.
Great job on the ribs.

Love me some good juicy (fatty) smoked beef ribs, all that fat is pure flavor.
When I can find big sections of Plate Ribs or Chuck Short Ribs, I like to do mine at 275°-300° for about 3 hours of smoke and 2 hours foil braised with some beef broth.

Like!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky