Beef Ribs and Pork Butt Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I had cured a pork butt than froze until ready to smoke. While taking out of freezer noticed some beef ribs had lost the seal on package so took them out. I have been using Smokehouse pellets from Sam's and been happy with them. I decided to use some Lumber Jack Hickory to see how compares. Did low smoke for 2 hours than 225. When took a look around the 4 hour mark the ham was really dry on the outside so sprayed it. It really never got a bark and stayed dry? Used same sweet heat rub as usual. I foiled around the 6 hour mark to finish. Came out good except the outside was dry which really did not matter since was just slicing. Ribs where really good. Gave some of the ham to friends. Really did not notice much difference between the two pellet brands and will just stick with smokehouse.

IMG_20230121_063735991.jpg IMG_20230121_063739443.jpg

IMG_20230121_160353298_HDR.jpg IMG_20230121_160356686_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230122_091840151.jpg IMG_20230122_092322506.jpg IMG_20230122_094307322_HDR.jpg

The Smokehouse I get is the Blend. Did not like the Hickory.

1674500893700.png

Last edited:
Nice job of both of those proteins Brian.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice work on both Brian. How long did the ribs take?
I wrapped at around 5 hours and I had to leave for a late Christmas party at the brewery. It was about at 7 hours when I got home. Left wrapped and put into cooler for couple hours. They where about perfect after all that.

Reactions: clifish
I had cured a pork butt than froze until ready to smoke. While taking out of freezer noticed some beef ribs had lost the seal on package so took them out. I have been using Smokehouse pellets from Sam's and been happy with them. I decided to use some Lumber Jack Hickory to see how compares. Did low smoke for 2 hours than 225. When took a look around the 4 hour mark the ham was really dry on the outside so sprayed it. It really never got a bark and stayed dry? Used same sweet heat rub as usual. I foiled around the 6 hour mark to finish. Came out good except the outside was dry which really did not matter since was just slicing. Ribs where really good. Gave some of the ham to friends. Really did not notice much difference between the two pellet brands and will just stick with smokehouse.

View attachment 655570View attachment 655569

View attachment 655568View attachment 655567

View attachment 655566View attachment 655565View attachment 655564
It all looks amazing to me man! Great work!
I'm totally on board with ham from Pork Shoulders. It's now what I do for the end of year food holidays :D

Looks really good Brian!
I checked our Sam’s & they are out of stock, in store, pick up, or delivery. Will try a bag when they have them in stock!
Al

Looks really good Brian!
I checked our Sam’s & they are out of stock, in store, pick up, or delivery. Will try a bag when they have them in stock!
Al
You want the bag that looks like this: I did not like the hickory version.

1674500803439.png

Last edited:
Some fine looking eats there Brian. I love a good ham but those ribs are absolutely to die for. They look fantastic. Great job buddy.

Robert

Had my first taste of the ham as I been eating the beef ribs which where really good. Still got one more meal tonight with them. I just ate some ham cold for lunch. Wow is it good. I wrapped it around low one hundreds as I had to leave. Let go until 155. Was using the MES as no more smoke needed. At 155 shut it off and opened door for 5 minutes to cool and shut it up. Ham coasted to 162. This ham is perfect for me. Great texture and flavor.

Everything looks top notch, great cook!

Dave
Thanks Dave
Looks great! I really like the beef ribs.

Jim
Thanks Jim
Nice job of both of those proteins Brian.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris
Love the ribs Brian, and the ham is
right up there also. And nice to be able to stock the freezer with easy packs to pull for other meals

David
Thanks David. Only thing I froze was ham seasoning meat. Gave rest away.
Nice work on both Brian. How long did the ribs take?
Tanks Cliff. Those ribs came out perfect.
It all looks amazing to me man! Great work!
I'm totally on board with ham from Pork Shoulders. It's now what I do for the end of year food holidays :D
Thanks Carlo. This was one of my best just weird how outside dried up.
Looks really good Brian!
Thanks Al
both meats look very delicious!! thanks for the info on the pellet comparison
Thanks. If I had LJ close by I would go with them but not enough difference to drive to get them.
Some fine looking eats there Brian. I love a good ham but those ribs are absolutely to die for. They look fantastic. Great job buddy.

Robert
Thanks Robert. Think I made guys on river happy!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Had my first taste of the ham as I been eating the beef ribs which where really good. Still got one more meal tonight with them. I just ate some ham cold for lunch. Wow is it good. I wrapped it around low one hundreds as I had to leave. Let go until 155. Was using the MES as no more smoke needed. At 155 shut it off and opened door for 5 minutes to cool and shut it up. Ham coasted to 162. This ham is perfect for me. Great texture and flavor.

Thanks Dave

Thanks Jim

Thanks Chris

Thanks David. Only thing I froze was ham seasoning meat. Gave rest away.

Tanks Cliff. Those ribs came out perfect.

Thanks Carlo. This was one of my best just weird how outside dried up.

Thanks Al

Thanks. If I had LJ close by I would go with them but not enough difference to drive to get them.

Thanks Robert. Think I made guys on river happy!
Glad it taste great!

The last few shoulder hams I've done just put on my V-shaped roasting rack that fits in a foil pan. Everything comes out great though the outside is a bit crispier and very dark in color.

I think I am going to hang them in stockinette backs on the next few I do so the outside is less crispy. The cotton should hold more juices and "baste" it as it goes :)

It all looks great ! Those ribs are killer . Hams looks perfect too .
At 155 shut it off and opened door for 5 minutes to cool and shut it up. Ham coasted to 162. This ham is perfect for me. Great texture and flavor.
I haven't done one in a while , but the last one I did it was cold enough overnight , that I just shut the smoker off closed all the vents and let it hang over night . Took it up a notch for sure .
I think I am going to hang them in stockinette backs on the next few I do so the outside is less crispy. The cotton should hold more juices and "baste" it as it goes :)
I was using netting until I bought the ham socks . That's the way to go for me now . If I do smaller hunks I'll wrap in cheese cloth and tie them . Saves the socks for big stuff .

It all looks great ! Those ribs are killer . Hams looks perfect too .

I haven't done one in a while , but the last one I did it was cold enough overnight , that I just shut the smoker off closed all the vents and let it hang over night . Took it up a notch for sure .

I was using netting until I bought the ham socks . That's the way to go for me now . If I do smaller hunks I'll wrap in cheese cloth and tie them . Saves the socks for big stuff .
Yeah I have a pack of like 250 (minus about 8) of the socks. I generally do 8 pound hams so they will be fine. They are basically just cheese cloth socks and I have so many I'll never use them all up with the few hams a year I do.

I do my turkey's on a standing rack in a foil pan so gotta uses the socks on something :D

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky