Beef prices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Price of meats in Jersey have skyrocketed in price. A prime brisket packer from the butcher was on average 80-100 per packer. Stopped in the other day, he told me prices are going crazy and told me same brisket i usually get is going for 150.00 ribs have almost doubled. what is this country becoming, our pay is not keeping up with these prices. gas here is like 3.40-3.90 for regular last year was 1.80- 2.05 God help us.
Yeahhhh….. Complete Insanity!!

Wife watching those farming girls YouTube videos they mention fertilizer price has gone up X5, fuel X2 which in turn has to be passed on when they sell the feed, which of course is passed on when the rancher sells the meat.

Friends miss my brisket burritos. I miss smoking the brisket. It's a culture.

which of course is passed on when the rancher sells the meat.
Doesn't work that way for us small farmers. Everything we sell goes to auction at the stockyards, so we get whatever the buyers are willing to bid on the animals we sell (and of course, the stockyard gets a small consignment fee for the sale). I don't get to up my price because feed/diesel is up right now. And let me tell you, if there is the least thing wrong with the animal, like a bob tail, or limp .... things that in no way affect the meat that will come out of it, you may as well have it killed for yourself. It'll bring next to nothing at auction.

Doesn't work that way for us small farmers. Everything we sell goes to auction at the stockyards, so we get whatever the buyers are willing to bid on the animals we sell (and of course, the stockyard gets a small consignment fee for the sale). I don't get to up my price because feed/diesel is up right now. And let me tell you, if there is the least thing wrong with the animal, like a bob tail, or limp .... things that in no way affect the meat that will come out of it, you may as well have it killed for yourself. It'll bring next to nothing at auction.
The producer always gets soaked when inflation goes up. Born and raised in agricultural.
Just checked auction results from our last livestock sale (November 4) 900-1000# steers are averaging $1.20 per pound. Meanwhile brisket is 4.50lb and steaks are something like 15.00lb in the store. Yeah there is a whole lot of passing cost on, but it ain’t from the producers.

From last year in November, a Costco brisket was going for $3.49/#, now???

Attachments

• Tag.jpg
    Tag.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 24
  • Sad
Reactions: negolien
Price of meats in Jersey have skyrocketed in price. A prime brisket packer from the butcher was on average 80-100 per packer. Stopped in the other day, he told me prices are going crazy and told me same brisket i usually get is going for 150.00 ribs have almost doubled. what is this country becoming, our pay is not keeping up with these prices. gas here is like 3.40-3.90 for regular last year was 1.80- 2.05 God help us.

How much are the "Choice" Packers there?
I never bought a Prime Brisket, or Butt, or Chucky in my life, because they cost too much!

Bear

Starting to get a little pre pandemic.. I made a trip to the store last night starting to see some empty shelves.. Cat food was bout cleaned out and booze was also. I had a very specific list so I didn't wander much seemed to be plenty of meat.. turkeys galore. I recently filled up and got a car wash 12 gallon tank 65+ dollars and I ain't getting premium lol

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
Wouldn't be surprised if a good part of the price increase is the packers wanting to get more than their fair share ($$$)! Have a good friend that raises cattle and it wasn't too long ago he said the packers were making $1,000 per head.

Ryan
That is not possible unless they are getting free cattle.

That is not possible unless they are getting free cattle.
How many cattle do you raise? And do you raise them in Iowa? I can put you in touch with several cattle farmers from near me and let you tell them it's not possible!

Ryan

How many cattle do you raise? And do you raise them in Iowa? I can put you in touch with several cattle farmers from near me and let you tell them it's not possible!

Ryan
Please do, because they are doing it wrong, paying someone that much dough for one head.

Please do, because they are doing it wrong, paying someone that much dough for one head.
They are not paying someone that much... that was how much some packers were making per head during the pandemic. The farmers were not making that and thus one of the reasons why beef prices are so high!

Ryan

Made my weekly run to Gordons food service . Beef knuckles dropped to $3.99 a lb. Last week they were $4.49 , and brisket dropped about the same $.50 . Were $4.49 down from $4.99 . Normal price for the knuckle is $3.39 , brisket is always around $3.59 .
Pack and sell by dates tell me these were recent . Sell by isn't until Dec. 15th .
Meat case was pretty well stocked . Most of the beef was still at a premium , but the sell buy dates were this week , so that tells me the pricing is from the last price point .
I'll go again next week and see what's going on . Doing it this way tells me what the pricing is real time . What's actually available to me , when I'm standing there , and where it looks like it's going .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky