Beef Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Dec 29, 2009
Savage, MN
Got a good deal on Eye of the Round at SAMS, so I decided to make some of beef jerky

My first couple batches were done by marinating overnight in ziploc bags.  Then I came across a deal on a Vacuum Meat Tumbler

This thing worked so well, I bought a bunch of them!

Here's a link to my Special Offer to SMF Members:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/129218/vacuum-meat-tumbler-special-price

I received $200 worth of Cabelas Gift Cards, so I cashed them in on some Jerky Spices and other stuff.

Gotta use them up!

I found a great combination by mixing Hickory and Peppered Jerky Seasoning

Here's my last batch

5# Eye of the Round, sliced 1/4" thick

Jerky Seasoning courtesy of Cabelas

8 oz. water

2 tablespoons liquid smoke - I Know....!

Vacuum Tumbler

25 minutes to marinate in the tumbler - Sure beats overnight in ziploc bags!

4 hours in the dehydrator

Just to test how well the Vacuum Tumbler works, I added another 4 oz. of water @ 15 minutes.  The extra water was also absorbed in to the 5# of meat at 25 minutes.

Thanks for looking!

Todd

5# Eye of the round trimmed                                                       1/4" sliced ready to marinade

Meat, seasonings, cure and water Into the tumbler                      8 - 12 pumps with the hand vac

Set the digital time for 25 minutes                                               15 minutes and most liquid is absorbed into the meat

25 minutes and it's done marinating!                                           Into the dehydrator for about 4 hours

Last edited:
Thanks Scar!

I love jerky and meat sticks

Marinating in the fridge overnight slows down the process, so I only do a few 5# batches each year

With this little gadget speeding up the marinating process to 25 minutes, I did 25# of jerky so far

I guess I never thought I needed one, until I actually owned one

TJ

That's a good question!

The spices, cure and salt were all added to 1/2 cup of water

This mixture is absorbed into the meat, so I would assume the cure is too

Vacuum tumbling is very popular with commercial processors

Looks Great Todd! Did you use the AMNPS or the Tube in the dehydrator
banana_smiley.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky