Beef fat vs Pork fat ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
I have always made my Summer sausage , Snack sticks and Bologna using pork butt for my fat to blend with my venison. Well I bought a bag of untrimmed Tri tips and after I got done trimming I ended up with a big bag of Beef fat and I figured I could use it with my venison this year. What does everyone think of this idea ?

I know it is an option where I get my venison processed. Not sure of the taste difference, so I'll let others answer that question.

I have always made my Summer sausage , Snack sticks and Bologna using pork butt for my fat to blend with my venison. Well I bought a bag of untrimmed Tri tips and after I got done trimming I ended up with a big bag of Beef fat and I figured I could use it with my venison this year. What does everyone think of this idea ?
You can definitely use it.
Your sausage will be very beefy in flavor. To me very well cleaned and taken care of venison taste like lean beef so if u add beef fat it will taste more like beef.

I think you'll be fine with a summer sausage.
However, if you try for something that is more porky in flavor like a Polish sausage, Frank, or even a Brat, you will not get the pork like flavor you are normally expecting since no pork is in the mix.

I make a Ground Venison Pastrami sandwich meat and I ONLY use beef fat for this sausage because that gives it the nice beefy flavor you expect with Pastrami. I would not do this type of sausage with pork fat.

Finally, if you do 80% venison meat and 20% fat your sausage will come out great WITHOUT the need to buy any pork or beef ever and you are eating mostly your hard earned venison rather than drowning it out with other meat :)

I hope this all helps :)

Well I bought a bag of untrimmed Tri tips and after I got done trimming I ended up with a big bag of Beef fat and I figured I could use it with my venison this year. What does everyone think of this idea
I thought it needed to be beef suet , and not regular beef fat . I know when I was having mine made the option was pork fat or beef suet .

I think it was P PolishDeli that suggested I don't use the regular beef fat .
I guess it all depends on what you like or are used to .

I thought it needed to be beef suet , and not regular beef fat . I know when I was having mine made the option was pork fat or beef suet .

I think it was P PolishDeli that suggested I don't use the regular beef fat .
I guess it all depends on what you like or are used to .
Beef suet is organ fat from around the kidneys as well as around the joints on the animal. It has a low melting point...like 113*F.... and good for mixing in when making ground meat, but not good for sausages. It has a high smoke point.

Some say not to use brisket fat, but I have found it to be an excellent fat for making sausages...especially texas hot gut sausage with beef. Just trim carefully and remove any bad spots on the fat from the packer first, then trim the brisket and save the fat. Usually get 3-4# per brisket.....

Reactions: Dave in AZ
Venison summer sausage . I called it beef fat once and he corrected me and said suet .
I'm not saying I know , because I don't . I've just always heard suet when it came to deer sausage . I've used regular beef fat once , and I personally didn't like it . For that reason I toss all the beef fat I trim . If there something I did wrong , or used the wrong stuff I'd sure like to know because I toss a lot of beef fat .

This is the one I did . All beef with the beef fat . Great flavor , but it was " weird " . Mouthfeel / texture thing . I don't have to toss many thing sI make , but that one went in the trash .
1661375646368.jpeg

Some say not to use brisket fat, but I have found it to be an excellent fat for making sausages...especially texas hot gut sausage with beef. Just trim carefully and remove any bad spots on the fat from the packer first, then trim the brisket and save the fat. Usually get 3-4# per brisket.....
Brisket fat is what I use and it's what I'm always told is used at various places that process and make sausage using beef fat.

I'm in agreement take a look at the fat you are trimming. If its good to go then roll with it. Throw out any stringy (can be on top of flat) or super hard fat (from the deckle of fat) and what you have left from the brisket works well for me.

I get about the same per brisket and I try to always buy 15pound or higher whole packer briskets. Smaller briskets are more problematic where the bigger ones are more forgiving for me :)

Reactions: indaswamp
I use beef fat in the blend to make burgers, but I’d probably not use it for sausages or use a very small amount and depend mostly on pork fat.

Jbo

Reactions: DougE and chopsaw
I use beef fat in my venison sausage including summer sausage.
When making venison summer sausage I use 70% venison, 20% beef fat not suet, and 10% pork butt.
When making other venison sausage I use 80% venison and 20% beef fat.
When making ground venison I use 85% venison and 15% beef fat.
I do grind some 95% venison 5% beef fat up for use in spaghetti.
I personally find that beef is closer to the taste of venison than pork and that is the reason I prefer using beef fat if I want to taste pork then I'll make sausage using pork

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky