Beef chuck short ribs for Saturday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Odysseus

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Arkansas
This Saturday my father and I are celebrating both our birthdays by inaugurating my new OKJ Highland smoker with 10 lbs. of bone-in beef chuck short ribs (IMPS 130).

I bought these as 4-bone racks, but I've decided to cut them into individual bones (English cut) prior to smoking, so they will cook a little faster and there will be more surface area for bark. The bones are 6 to 7 inches long and are 2.5 inches thick including the bone. Each bone weighs about 1 lb.

I will be smoking them with cherry wood at 225 degrees with no water pan, and will not wrap them at any point. How long would you expect these to take to hit 200-205 internal?

Last edited:
Agree with the single bone approach for the reasons you listed as well. I do prime rib the same way - better smoked flavor.

Be sure to post pics!

Reactions: Odysseus
If you decide to stick with 225°-250° give it 5-7 hours +/-.

I agree. I find individual beef short ribs take about the same amount of time as a rack of SLC Spares.

They will sit fine wrapped up in the cooler until you're ready to eat so give yourself plenty of time. Be sure to probe all over until they're nice and tender everywhere.
Good eats!

Reactions: Odysseus
I think I'm going to stick with 225 because I just bought a bunch of coconut milk and 4 ripe pineapples and a bottle of Plantation Barbados 5-year rum, so I'm going to make a day of it while drinking top shelf piña coladas. It is my birthday, after all ;D

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
I'll be the guy that says don't split em and smoke them with mesquite instead. This way you can cook at the higher temps and still both

A) get the extra smokey flavor you desire

And

B) make a whole day of smoking them :-)

I'm probably just an oddball, but mesquite is my least favorite wood flavor. Besides, I have about 600 lbs. of American Black Cherry from a tree I cut, so that's what I'm using. So far, cherry is my favorite flavor wood.

Certified Angus Beef, top third of choice. Got it for $3.99/lb. from Edward's
IMG_5601.JPG

Cut into singles
IMG_5602.JPG

Rubbed and on the smoker
IMG_5603.JPG

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the guests were getting antsy and I didn't have a chance to take any more photos. But they were a big hit! Served with creamed spinach, lima beans, and pasta salad.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky