Short rib issues lately

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
Greetings all,
I've been lurking but not posting for a while now, but I've run into some issues lately that I need some help on. The past few times I've done short ribs (bone in, individual ribs), I've been able to develop a good bark and nice smoke ring. They probe tender somewhere between 195-200ish. I'll take them off and wrap them up for a short hold. Usually I'll do something like 1hr in an oven around 170F. When it comes time to serve, it seems like they've lost their tenderness, they're not as probe tender! Don't get me wrong, still good eating but not what I was hoping for.

Should I be holding them at a higher temp (like 190ish?). I'm going to reheat them in the sous vide today for a few hours to see if that helps. Any tips/help appreciated!

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks for the advice! Is there something about hold at ~170 that is different than 145 if the meat is probing tender?

@ 170 it is still hot enough for moisture to leave the tissue….it keeps cooking without rendering

I looked back a some of my cooks and I run them at 265-275 till INT 203-205. The plate ribs also like a bit hotter temp.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky