Beef Cheek -(lower grade of Waygu)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Millberry

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Buford, GA
Someone gave me -what I call-a lower grade of frozen Wagyu? Beef Cheek.That is what they said- Pretty heavy --guessing about 5 pounds-(no weight shown--just Midland Meat Co.. name). I have read several "beef cheek" articles using the search engine. None of the articles I found so far looked like a Waygu meat. Most folks turned theirs into taco meat.
I found a "recipe" on the Internet that sounds good- see below- BUT-Rather have the advice from someone on here. ( Ithought about just going overboard and using mesquite)-Keep in mine how new I am at this WSM smoking..so I want simple. Thanks so much. Charlie

Beef rub
Instructions
  • Set smoker to cook at 275°F
  • Prepare beef cheeks by trimming silver skin and excess fat
  • Combine beef rub ingredients and apply generously to beef. Apply on underside too, and work into crevices
  • Transfer to smoker racks. Close lid/door and leave to smoke for 4 hours
  • Remove from smoker and wrap in aluminum foil, or place in aluminum tray and cover with foil
  • Transfer back to smoker and leave to smoke for one more hour
  • Allow to cook until internal temperature has reached 210°F
  • Remove from smoker and leave wrapped in foil. Leave to rest for 10 minutes
  • Serve in slices, or pulled for beef cheek tacos or sandwiches

I also read an article that stated to cook until 212 IT----even though it woud pass the "BUTTA" TEST (butter probe feel) many degrees before. Also got 2 flat iron steaks
IMG_2790.JPG
IMG_2791.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
No help here, but at 210* you may not be able to slice it. Watching...

Chris

Sorry I'm not even 100% sure which end of the cow that cheek is coming from. A$$ or Head -- got me. I've seen some strange things smoked on this site. :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Chris

I think if I wanted to slice it stop at 190, may fall apart at any temp above 200 witch would still taste great, just different method to eat it lol

They are exceptionally well marbled and trimmed. Texture Testing a Slice at 190 and every 5° after, will let you determine what you will like on a new beef cut...JJ

Thanks mate! I couldn't decide about that. At least you have tried this. I had never even seen one. I was trying to decide whether to smoke straight through or pulling it off and "foiling". Ta, Charlie

A couple classic examples of cheeks used for tacos and more.

Reactions: Millberry
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky