Beef bones and ABT’s with pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
So another fine day here with temperature at 18 and no wind ( approx. 70 F ) lots of yard work done and flags up.
So it was a good day for the Smokers Shack to work also.
2 packs of Beef back ribs, cleaned and put in fridge over night with salt and pepper light garlic powder. ( 1 pack cut weird, bones were cut on edge )
1.JPG 2.JPG

Than smoker set at 250 with Mesquite chunks for 2 hours, pulled out and trayed for 1 1/2 hours with a combo of half cup of "water, soya sauce and onion BBQ sauce mixed" in bottom of pan and covered
3.JPG 7.JPG

That morning i made my ABT, nice big jalapeno peppers. just removed small side piece and cleaned out guts ( same as thirdeye thirdeye showed, thank you ).
Made my filling with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, chopped chicken , fresh cut pineapple diced small, brown sugar touch of cinnamon, mixed and filled peppers
laid down the bacon and thinned out and wrapped the peppers, THATS where i made first mistake, I went too thin as you will see later . Bacon almost dissolved.
4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG
Put the ABT's in smoker for 2 hours . and in the last hour pulled the ribs out of the pan and in smoker with the temp at 275- 285. So both doing well together. Made sure the ABT's were under the ribs as Mona would not be happy with the juice from the peppers dripping on the ribs. Me I'd be ok with that, but it was a good day why ruin it now.

8.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG

See what i mean about the peppers, but tasted good with the chicken and fresh pineapple. Ribs were great with just a little chew and nice flavor with just SPG , and nice handle on them to hold.
Platted up with Garden salad and Poppy Seed dressing, oven fries and the best oven Onion rings i have ever had.
Now the plate view
12.JPG

Now for a question about cheddar cheese, The peppers were great but i noticed the cheddar cheese had a grainy texture and just a touch bitter, and the reason i know it is the cheddar is because my mac and cheese awhile back was the same . With the same cheese being used . I will bring this up in an other place.
So all in all was a good day with a great smoke and a happy love of my life Big smiles across the table
thanks for looking and hanging on for a long post
David

Looks great to me, the bacon done its job of holding stuff in and imparting flavor, the fats rendered into the ABT , I have had cheese get grainy before but no idea why other than too much heat drove out the oils that make it creamy. Not every thing takes heat for long periods well, a 30-60 minute smoke with a quick finish of high heat in the oven may work better

The emulsifiers and coagulants in Cheddar cheese break down with heat which cause the cheese to get that grainy texture. Cheddar isn't a very good melting cheese if you are going to use it add it at the very end and remove it from the heat as soon as it melts. To make a cheddar cheese sauce that won't break as easy melt the cheese at low temps using a 50/50 mixture of cheddar and American cheese then drizzle it over your poppers. That is the BEST way to ensure that your cheese won't break. You can also make sure that your temps never reach more than 155* these are the ONLY ways to make sure you aren't going to get that grainy textured cheese.

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Beautiful work in progress and plating. I will say you got my attention with the temperature at 18 and then saw the 70F. Duh, 18 Celsius! Same temp here yesterday in SC only I think folks here if they heard 18 would pass out!! LOL!🍻
John

RE: the cheese for ABTs. couple thoughts forktender forktender nailed the reasoning. Alternatives; Jeff uses cream cheese which I dont prefer. I use a Kroger shredded Mexican blend that works good and i mix in browned chorizo. I recently read a guy used goat cheese which sound pretty tasty.

Beautiful work in progress and plating. I will say you got my attention with the temperature at 18 and then saw the 70F. Duh, 18 Celsius! Same temp here yesterday in SC only I think folks here if they heard 18 would pass out!! LOL!🍻
John
Thanks John for the like and the comment. I was wondering about that when I put in the temp. That's why I added for you guys . I heard it was about the same down your way . I am working on a house up here for customers that also live in Charleston, SC and thats what they told me, as they are still down there.

David

David

Looks like a great meal ! Nice work .

Now for a question about cheddar cheese,
My son makes great cheese sauce . I know when he makes it he does something to keep the cheddar from breaking . I need to get him to write it down . I know adding at the end like mentioned above is one thing , but he also adds something . I'll find out what it is .
Also , we started grating all of our cheese . Store bought shredded cheese is treated with a anti caking agent to keep it from sticking together .

Thanks forktender, that makes sense. But 155 deg. is pretty low for doing ABT , and what about Mac and Cheese, would i have to use something like Velveeta, so it can be hotter than 155 deg. if it is in smoker with something else,

David
David it sure is, another thing you can do depending on which type your smoker is too backer down than add the cheese. By chance were you using the per shredded cheese? If so they have anti-caking agents and mold inhibitors are added too them which will also cause the cheese to break quicker than block cheeses.

Try block cheese next time if you were using packaged shredded cheese also sharp cheddar has a tendency to break more often than mild cheddar cheese.

Your meal looks KILLER, I would've put the feed bags on and grind down on some for damn sure.

Nice smoke.
Dan

Last edited:
By chance were you using the per shredded cheese? If so they have anti-caking agents and mold inhibitors are added too them which will also cause the cheese to break quicker than block cheeses.

Try block cheese next time if you were using packaged shredded cheese also sharp cheddar has a tendency to break more often than mild cheddar cheese.

I was thinking this too. I use cheddar in ABTs and Pork Shots and don't have it break ... but... 1) I mix it with some cream cheese 2) I grate it myself from a block.

I didn't know the sharp vs mild thing, I'll keep that in mind, good info ;)

Reactions: forktender
we started grating all of our cheese
hi chopsaw
that would be good to know what your son uses to help the cheese, we also buy the blocks and grate our own. It is a lot cheaper that way. When it goes on sale we buy a bunch and great it up and than freeze. Especially mozzarella
David

Reactions: chopsaw
I was thinking this too. I use cheddar in ABTs and Pork Shots and don't have it break ... but... 1) I mix it with some cream cheese 2) I grate it myself from a block.

I didn't know the sharp vs mild thing, I'll keep that in mind, good info ;)
Thanks WaterRat for the like and comment

No i use block and grate it , and i mixed it with cream cheese, and a month ago when i did Mac and Ch. it did the same thing. A bit bitter and grainy.
i am using med cheddar and greating it myself.
Maybe its just cheap store brand and not a good cheese, tastes normal when just slice an eaten raw
David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky