1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured Beef and Cast Iron

Discussion in 'Grilling Beef' started by Lakeside Smoker, Jul 9, 2018 at 6:27 PM.

1. C8BE1555-C102-4E13-BC6B-70794B5D7A84.jpeg
    Rolled rib eye cap, bone marrow butter, rosemary, garlic. Seared on cast iron cooked over coals.

Anyone else prefer cooking steak in a cast iron pan instead of on the grill? I like doing this way: in the cast iron, but I still get to use the coals.

Cheers,
    Mike

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018 at 6:38 PM
    bdskelly, tropics, zwiller and 15 others like this.
  2. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

I'm a grate guy, but I can't argue with your results.

Chris

Lakeside Smoker likes this.
  3. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Drool! Totally point worthy!

4. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That looks fantastic. I love my CI. Tell us more about that marrow butter??

5. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

That looks incredibly scrumptious!
    This should be on the Carousel, that pic is simply salivation inducing.
    Like!

Yes, please tell us more about the marrow butter.

I reverse sear most of my steaks, smoke them and then sear in cast iron.
    But sometimes when time is short, they go straight on the grill.

6. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I found this recipe.

7. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead

This looks incredible! I just wish you had some more pics! I want to grab that right out of the skillet! The burns to my hands and mouth would be worth it!!! I think....

Fine job
    Scott

8. Lookn4u

Lookn4u Smoke Blower

I'm a huge cast iron fan, new and old. My favorite and one I will pass down to one of my sons has been in our family as long as anyone can remember, It has no markings at all. My newest addition is a Stargazer pan I got for Fathers Day this year. I baked an apple pie in it last weekend. As for steaks cooked inside, we sear for two and minutes in a hot pan per side then in the oven at 400 for 5 minutes, usually get a good medium out of that depending on the thickness.

9. rawand

rawand Newbie

It really looks delicious !!

10. The bone marrow butter is crazy good! I can’t cook a steak without it now. I think that’s why I like cooking steaks/roasts in a cast iron pan. You get to baste the meat with butter, rosemary, garlic, and its own juices, and fat. The recipe that @chilerelleno posted is pretty much what I do. I like about 70% butter and 30% bone marrow, salt and fresh chopped rosemary. I make a big batch and keep it in the freezer. It’s great stuff!

Cheers,
    Mike

11. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Your steak looks fantastic!
    I'm with you, I cook all our steaks in CI pans, with bacon grease.
    Love the flavor you get, and there is a bunch of juice to baste with & then pour over the steak when it's done!
    And Chile is right, that photo does belong on the carousel.
    Congrats!
    Al

12. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Someone needs to print some Fire and Iron t-shirts.

daveomak and Lakeside Smoker like this.
  13. zippy12

zippy12 Smoking Fanatic

One of the best Q's I have seen in a while! POINT!

14. ab canuck

ab canuck Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That looks Great, I am liking that. Congrats on your carousel ride.

15. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

Love CI sizzle,sear,baste!I go back and forth between it and a vintage Weber CI grate.

16. Lookn4u

Lookn4u Smoke Blower

This is how my cooktop looks at all times. The Stargazer pan is in the middle, the other two, I’ll put like this. I’m well into my 50’s and I can remember the other two sitting on my grandmothers stove when I was a child. The only markings on the little chrome one is “E85”.

17. petehalsted

petehalsted Meat Mopper

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, absolutely beautiful.

I do all my steaks these days reverse sear. Instead of Cast Iron, I use Carbon Steel, pretty much the same thing, but a bit less weight.

I have been wanting to try one of the right on the coals cooks, but haven't had the opportunity yet.

18. dls1

dls1 Smoking Fanatic

Lakeside Smoker,

That's one fine presentation, and a beautiful looking piece of meat. Well deserving of a like. Did you stuff the rolled cap, or leave it plain?

I like to finish on the grill such as you did but I ditched the CI a few years ago and went all carbon steel such as petehalstead mentioned.

Also, I was glad to hear the bone marrow butter mentioned. I have a couple versions that I made in the past but had long forgotten. One is similar to what chilerelleno posted but calls for ghee (clarified butter) and includes confit garlic and minced fresh thyme. The other is more of a serving sauce with a base of reduced beef stock, butter, marrow, minced shallots, white wine, Dijon, etc. Time to print those recipes and get some marrow bones. Thanks for jogging my memory.

19. Thanks, @dls1 !
    I did not stuff the cap. I like heavy salt and pepper, and a little garlic powder on beef.
    Cheers!

20. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

What is a "rib eye cap".... Is that where you trim off the outside of the rib eye and roll it??? or do you buy it from the meat guy ???