Be Advised

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Mar 22, 2008
Florida
I know this thread is not going to be popular with some members, groups, cliques so it's a good thing I don't care about being popular. What I do care about is people following the rules of Smoking Meat Forums.
#1 There are no rules that threads must be about or include cooking we have sections that are clearly not cooking related and many threads that are not cooking related. I recently posted a thread about blueberries, Al posted one about putting up a gazebo, Rick posted one about a bourbon distillery tour, John posted one about fishing, and there have been a bunch more that were not "cooking" related and we haven't gotten all the non-cooking related bs comments another member has been getting.
#2 If you decide you don't like another member's threads or posts you have a couple choices either don't click on them or put them on ignore those are your choices. Attacking the member or giving them bad advice is not an option and staff is tired of seeing it. Also complaining about a member lashing out after being attacked multiple times isn't going to get you very far either. Come on either try to help people or ignore them if they are breaking SMF rules report them but enough of the bickering. Also remember back to when you were a new member more than likely your posting was not perfect. All members should know better and OTBS members are to be the best of the best and held to an even higher standard think about it.
I am leaving this thread open for now but if you really want to discuss this it would probably be better to PM me than to make this thread get locked.

Yeah, I can be testy about people crying about a particular bbq grill but I would never knock someone for posting something as a general rule. If you're not interested don't read it, not a fan of someone mute em /shrug. Lotta perennially offended running around here lately imho.

Reactions: SmokyMose
My understanding and the reason I joined and supported this site is that forums are based on tried-and-true information and experience sharing with an emphasis on mutual mentoring, coaching, and encouragement in the broad area of smoking meat (and veggies). There’s room for tactful challenges and even corrections as that is part of healthy mentorship and coaching.

Flaming, trolling, general rudeness and boastfulness are accepted and encouraged traits of social media like Facebook and, in my humble opinion, belong there, not here. I do not belong to any social media for that reason and I consider this small but respected corner of the internet as a safe haven from the drama and concocted doom of social media sites.

To quote a great and respected philosopher, “If you can’t say somethin’ nice, don’t say nothin’ at all.” -Thumper

Jerry, you make some valid points here and I'm guilty as charged on a couple of counts. When I got called a profane name and a negative remark was made referencing mentality, and those same references were made about other members held in high regard, I took it personally. Instead of maintaining the high ground, I let personal feelings take precedent over prudence and allowed myself to be baited into a situation that I should have avoided. In hindsight, I should have just reported the comments to the staff, have faith that appropriate action would be taken, and let it go. You, the rest of the staff, and all the members here, have my apologies. My word sir, this was the first and LAST time I'll allow that to happen. I've always tried to conduct myself in a respectful and upstanding manner here and I'm a bit embarrassed over this one :emoji_wink:

Robert

Well said and as it should be,

Thank you

David

I'll second this! I frequently post "non" cooking posts because the forum as stated above is more than showing "pics" of food (there are other platforms for that).... Learning and sharing is why the forum has been (and is) so successful IMOP...ie building a community is just that..."building" it not "knocking" it down!

Well to be honest I don't remember the last time I posted an actual "cooking" thread. I did smoke a couple butts, brisket, and some hamburgers two weekends ago of course the same day I changed out the u-joints on a pto shaft for the bushog, put a new door on the skid steer as the original shattered, put mew blades on the mower, and picked blueberries so needless to say I didn't take a single pic. Blueberries are about down and that's not a terrible thing I'm beyond tired of picking them.
Add to that the stuff I do on the staff side here and I just don't post much anymore.
Ken I was in no way trying to direct this thread at you personally but to a lot of people that just weren't acting like the great members we know them to be.

Well to be honest I don't remember the last time I posted an actual "cooking" thread. I did smoke a couple butts, brisket, and some hamburgers two weekends ago of course the same day I changed out the u-joints on a pto shaft for the bushog, put a new door on the skid steer as the original shattered, put mew blades on the mower, and picked blueberries so needless to say I didn't take a single pic. Blueberries are about down and that's not a terrible thing I'm beyond tired of picking them.
Add to that the stuff I do on the staff side here and I just don't post much anymore.
Ken I was in no way trying to direct this thread at you personally but to a lot of people that just weren't acting like the great members we know them to be.
Dang piney.....you can come by my house any time and have a to do list like that.....I’ll feed ya and you can even take pics before din din is consumed!

Jerry, you make some valid points here and I'm guilty as charged on a couple of counts. When I got called a profane name and a negative remark was made referencing mentality, and those same references were made about other members held in high regard, I took it personally. Instead of maintaining the high ground, I let personal feelings take precedent over prudence and allowed myself to be baited into a situation that I should have avoided. In hindsight, I should have just reported the comments to the staff, have faith that appropriate action would be taken, and let it go. You, the rest of the staff, and all the members here, have my apologies. My word sir, this was the first and LAST time I'll allow that to happen. I've always tried to conduct myself in a respectful and upstanding manner here and I'm a bit embarrassed over this one :emoji_wink:

Robert
I didn’t actually read any of the theatrics of this, but I heard about it, and I understand that the thread was “cleaned up” so the details were deleted. That said, this site attracts mature and accomplished folks, and for the most part we play nice, but we have a lot of collective knowledge that attracts a host of other folks, most of which have no knowledge and little manners. We just have to scroll by those, help the ones you can and let the rest drown. This has been my learning curve. I have been guilty of exactly what you did here Robert. I have since been very reluctant to rejoin the group fully. Partly out of frustration and partially out of some shame, but I now realize that weakness and believe we should just push past and concentrate on this great core of bbq “knowers “ on this site and just scroll by the ones we disagree with. Doesn’t really take much effort to just not post or react to a post, I’ve learned this recently. Just passing that along.

Oh and BTW Robert, you have a place at my table anytime, I’ve said before and will say again, you Sir are good people.

I changed out the u-joints on a pto shaft for the bushog, put a new door on the skid steer as the original shattered, put mew blades on the mower, and picked blueberries
Well sheesh Jerry...what did you do after lunch?? :emoji_laughing:
I have since been very reluctant to rejoin the group fully. Partly out of frustration and partially out of some shame
Don't let one mishap stop you from being part of the forum please. You and I have shared some dialog that has been thoroughly enjoyed. We all make mistakes, it's just the nature of being human. It is how those mistakes are handled once they are recognized that makes the difference. To my knowledge there has only been one person in history that was perfect. I'd rather not suffer the same fate so I can easily live with a mistake once in a while :emoji_wink:
Oh and BTW Robert, you have a place at my table anytime, I’ve said before and will say again, you Sir are good people.
Thanks so much for that. It is deeply appreciated but beware what you offer. I might just come slithering up to your door one day :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That said, this site attracts mature and accomplished folks, and for the most part we play nice, but we have a lot of collective knowledge that attracts a host of other folks, most of which have no knowledge and little manners.

I had to run to the bathroom after I read this. When I looked in the mirror I broke out laughing. I've been called a lot of things before, but mature isn't one of them.:emoji_laughing:

Chris

I had to run to the bathroom after I read this. When I looked in the mirror I broke out laughing. I've been called a lot of things before, but mature isn't one of them.
Remember Chris, there is an exception to every rule :emoji_laughing: At least you play nice most of the time so that lends just a bit of credibility.

Robert

Reactions: gmc2003
I for one am happy that the SMF has so many posting areas that are not just bbq or food related.

With todays meat prices its sometimes easier to post other things you do. We all need to save some hard earned $$ on meats.

It will get better.

AMEN! Brother. I'm ashamed to say I fell into that trap. Think I got banned a couple times. Folks. Just because it's a pm, it isn't necessarily between you and that person. Just keep calm. Hold the high ground and let it go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky