BDSkelly ` Baby Back Ribs

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bdskelly, May 15, 2016.

1. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Mrs BD was away today. I decided to smoke some meat.  The market had loin ribs on display. ...Kind of like baby back but with more loin meet on the bone. It was love at first sight!

I made a simple rub:

1/2 cup course black pepper.

1/4 cup kosher salt.

2 TBLS Paprika. 

Since it was raining I used my MES under the patio cover. AMPS loaded with hickory.  Smoked at 225. 2  hours in the smoke. 2 hours in foil with apple cider vinegar and butter, 1 hour back in the smoke for finishing. 

I am a spare rib fan... But I really like these meaty little bones. They turned out GREAT! 

b

mike5051, tropics, gary s and 3 others like this.
  2. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Those look tasty!

3. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yeppers, nice looking ribs...... and I love the creativity involved in the rub.......hard to beat it!

Ribs! I guess you didn't ruin 'em with cold longnecks. 

4. bdskelly

Thanks B.. They turned out pretty good. B

5. bdskelly

HAAA!  Yup nothing like the complexity of salt and pepper.  LOL  I need to go spice shopping when I get back from MEM. The cupboard is almost bare. 5 hour smoke took 6 longnecks. 

6. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hey look for some rub in Memphis, IMHO that's the home of the dry rub.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  7. worktogthr

worktogthr Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Those ribs look great. I did a rack of spares this weekend with just SPOG. Can't beat the simplicity!

8. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looking good Brian.  I do like loin ribs--they always seem to have more meat than fat.

Gary

9. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I like the loin ribs too Brian!  Nice job keeping it simple.  Points to you sir.

Mike

10. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Brian nice job ob the ribs,I like them meaty,thanks for sharing the rub Points

Richie

11. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Those are the only ribs we eat around here, some of them are so big they are like small pork chops.

Yours look delicious!

Points!

Al

12. bdskelly

Yes sir... The rub worked out well.  But I was pretty much out of options.  Need to go shopping and restock the pantry!  Thank you! b
    Thanks Gary.  I agree. The ribs don't have the typical fat you'd see on BB. B

13. bdskelly

Thanks for the point Mike! b
    Thanks Richie. 

14. bdskelly

Thanks for sending your rub recipe yesterday my friend. Unfortunately I only had half the ingredients.  I'll use it next week after a quick shopping trip to the grocery store!  b

15. lancep

lancep Master of the Pit

I'm a pretty big fan of spares myself, but those are some tasty looking ribs! Points for rolling with what you got. Adapt and overcome!!
    Lance

16. bdskelly

Thanks so much Lance. Ya know... I've been limiting the seasonings  here lately.  Over the years Ive made 15 ingredient rubs. Whew!  Then there was all those injection solutions... Whew again!

This little ol rub was just right. It enhanced the meat rather than cover it. 

Thanks for the point!

Brian

17. lancep

lancep Master of the Pit

Hey no problem man. I think you're right though, the meat is what's most important. I'm pretty much a less is more kind of guy. As the saying goes, all you need for good bbq is salt and pepper in the right proportion and patience. Of course, I put some herbs in the mix on this chicken I'm about to pull off.

18. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I think I am going your way with simpler rubs, Brian. I find myself doing more SPOG.

Points for great ribs.

Disco

19. I'm a little late,  Nice looking ribs Brian   I could stand a few bones     [​IMG]

Gary

20. bdskelly

Thanks Disco. Yup... I'm on the same page as you my friend. Simple can be better.  This 3 ingredient rub as just right.